sophiecentaur said:
What would that be in f number, altogether? I think your solution would be 'unusual' so it could be worth submitting the idea to a couple of dedicated astro forums (like stargazers' lounge). Making almost simultaneous exposures would probably be best on a common, heavy duty mount.
It's catch 22 really. A single big lens will give you worth while data in a fairly short time but, and this annoys you, needs multiple exposures (extras for H alpha etc.. But the results can be stunning.
Pretty much every combination of kit will have ben tried, at least by someone and their opinion could be worth going for. From what I hear from fellow club members (I am such a casual hands on that my experience is not worth listening to) they are very opportunist about gathering data- spreading their exposures over several suitable nights.
PS did you consider a Newtonian? Long focal length and massive light gathering power. Very popular with people with a chunky mount.
The 300mm lens is f/4.5 & adding a 2x teleconverter makes it 600mm f/9.
My goal is to get full Hubble palette data on a target in a single night.
With 1 camera we’re talking 30-45 minutes setup. Each exposure is in the neighborhood of 5 minutes so if I want 60 images to stack from 1 narrowband filter we’re talking 5 hours or 6 hours including camera setup. Multiply 6 hours times 3 filters and we’re talking 18 hours which is obviously too long for 1 night of imaging… & honestly I start getting pretty bored and tired after only around 3 hours.
But if I have 3 cameras going simultaneously, I could get 15 hours of data in only 5 hours, for example, which is doable in a single evening.
If I were to have to find 3 separate nights with appropriate moon/weather that also fit my will/determination and schedule it could take weeks or months.
So I’d basically be spending around $500x2 for the dslr bodies, $500x2 for the trackers, maybe $500x2 for the lenses + teleconverters, so I’m basically looking at spending around $3k in order speed up the process of acquiring a single Hubble palette image from weeks or months to a single eve.
Alternatively I could capture 3 targets in the time it currently takes to capture 1 target.
Three cameras on a single mount would require an expensive mount. I could get 2 more trackers for about $1k ($500 each) but I am already basically pushing the weight limit for a single tracker.