Levi-Civita symbol for cross products?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Levi-Civita symbol in calculating cross-product combinations, specifically A x (B x C). The speaker's lecturer has stated that it is a faster method, but the speaker is unsure if the time to learn the method efficiently is worth it. The other speaker explains that learning a few basic results can make working with the Levi-Civita symbol much easier and is worth the effort. They also mention the difference between using the Levi-Civita symbol and matrix methods in terms of arranging the calculation of cubic polynomials.
Nikitin
Hi. Is using the Levi-Civita symbol to calculate cross-product combos like A x (B x C) allot faster than just using the good old determinant method?

I ask because my lecturer in electrodynamics 2 told us it is better, but it seems to me that it's going to cost me time to learn to use this method efficiently (it took me over 20 minutes to do a triple cross product with it!). Will the pay-off be worth the practice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It may not seem useful to you right now, but it really is. Try to learn it.

Likes 1 person
Once you've learned how to handle ##\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{ijl}## and ##\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{ilm}##, and that if ##S_{jk}=S_{kj}## then ##\varepsilon_{ijk}S_{jk}=0##, you will find it much easier to work with the Levi-Civita symbol than any other method. It's definitely worth the effort. It's not a very big effort, since those three things I mentioned are the only basic results you need to know.

Not sure about A × (B × C), but for A ⋅ (B × C) 3-dimensional Levi-Civita symbol with its 6 non-zero components, if used once as εijkAiBjCk, and (expanded) formula for rank-3 determinant, are the same thing.

As a general remark, not Levi-Civita vs matrix methods makes the difference, but now exactly the algorithm arranges calculation of the cubic polynomial(s) on components for given type of triple product.

Last edited:

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol for cross products?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical symbol used in vector calculus to represent the sign of a permutation of three elements. In the context of cross products, it is used to determine the direction of the resulting vector.

2. How is the Levi-Civita symbol defined?

The Levi-Civita symbol is defined as epsilonijk, where i, j, and k are indices that take on the values of 1, 2, or 3. It takes on a value of 1, -1, or 0 depending on whether the permutation of i, j, and k is even, odd, or not a permutation at all.

3. What is the relationship between the Levi-Civita symbol and the cross product?

The Levi-Civita symbol is used in the formula for the cross product of two vectors, where the resulting vector is given by the sum of the products of the corresponding components multiplied by the Levi-Civita symbol. This is because the cross product is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors, and the direction of the resulting vector is determined by the sign of the permutation.

4. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol can be extended to any number of dimensions, not just three. In higher dimensions, it is defined as a tensor with multiple indices and takes on values of 1, -1, or 0 depending on the permutation of the indices.

5. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in physics?

The Levi-Civita symbol is used in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is commonly used in equations involving vectors, such as the cross product and the curl of a vector field. It is also used in the definition of the stress-energy tensor in general relativity.