1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lewis Structures and Valence Electrons?

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. With Lewis Structures and Valence electrons, do the valence electrons have to go in a certain order around the element symbol?
    ie: four dots around each side of carbon, or two on the left side and two on the right side?

How would you do one like C₂H₅I?

One more question, how would one draw a lewis structure for a complex ion, like OH-?

Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
    First place each electron one at a time (unpaired) on each of 4 sides of the chemical symbol. Only start pairing them up if you have an atom with more than 4 valence e's.

Hope this helped.

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3
    No, it doesn't matter what order you have the electrons on the symbol, as long as you have the correct number. Of course, you could have a very anal teacher, in which case, do it how he wants it.

When drawing OH- what you would do of course, is bond the oxygen and the hydrogen with a single bond (hydrogen can never take more than a single bond) that counts as two of your 8 (it is 8 valence electrons because it is minus, if it was neutral than it would be 7 [6 valence electrons on the oxygen and 1 on the hydrogen]) electrons. Therefore you need to place 6 more electrons, and in this case, the only place to put them is around the oxygen, so you will draw 6 little dots around your O.

End.

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4
    Thank you very much for your help! I can finish up my report now. :)
    I am understanding these better~!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?