Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lhc at the north pole

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    what would happen if the north pole was contained within the loop of the lhc at cern?

the lhc at maximum speed can make a particle complete 7 loops in a second. the earth rotates once every 24 hours. if the lhc was set up so the particle was made to move in the opposite direction to the earths rotation, you could get the particle to move 604,800 times faster than the earth's rotation and in the opposite direction to the earth's rotation.

Newton said we couldn't travel back in time, but maybe at a certain frequency it is possible to make a particle travel back in time.

the cost to build the lhc at the north pole would be astronomical but the possibilties of new discoveries could be phenomenal.

any thoughts welcome

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Er... whaaaaa? Where do you get such "information"?

The LHC makes particle complete 7 loops in a second? How SLOW can this be? Do a quick, simple basic physics. Something moving at essentially c, moving around a circumference of say 27 km. How long do you think that will take to make a complete loop? 1/7 of a second? Seriously?!

And what's with the earth's magnetic field being a concerned here? It is so weak, it play zero part in all of this. Note that what is being accelerated are protons, and not just ONE single protons. There are more powerful magnets being used (a gazillion times more powerful than the Earth's field) simply to counter space-charge effects that want to blow out each of the proton bunches. So how would a puny Earth's field be of any use?

Zz.

4. Jun 4, 2009 #3
    If I may add to Zz's incredulity, that method of "Time travel" is based on a superman comic, if I recall correctly. The international date line and time zones on earth are human methods to make long-distance travel easier to timetable, crossing one does not actually change what time it is. You could spin around the earth as many times as you wanted to, but no "Time travel" would occur.

5. Jun 4, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Superman did it, but he wasn't a very good physicist.

6. Jun 4, 2009 #5
    Yay if you stand on the north pole and spin on your feet you can go back in time as long as you need less than a day for a revolution.:rofl:

Now I just need to think what weekday I want to spend the rest of my life in.

7. Jun 6, 2009 #6
    Aww come on guys that's not very nice. Chris probably confused the number of laps a particle can make around the LHC with the number of laps a particle moving at almost the speed of light can make around the Earth.

And obviously he's not well versed in the concept of time, which is understandable. I mean isn't that one of the reasons for these forums? To help out those who don't know much about physics? :smile:

8. Jun 6, 2009 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Of course. If the question was to ask about basic physics, there's plenty of help. However, if shaky physics is being used to somehow extrapolate into some speculative ideas, then that's a different matter entirely.

Many members here are often advised to try to learn and establish their understanding of basic physics. In fact, this is something they'll learn very quickly after a few posts. They also learn that they'll better get the foundation right in the first place before trying to build something on top of it. That, in itself, in a valuable lesson to be learned in this forum.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook