Photon Pair Production Cross Sections at 7 TeV from CMS at LHC | LHC Preprint

• Thread starter TrickyDicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cms Lhc
I don't have access to cms's internal notes but I'll take your word for it that they had a hard time accurately predicting this cross section and that they are not alone in this. It still sounds like bad news for the theorists.In summary, a discrepancy has been observed in the measurement of cross sections for the production of isolated photon pairs in proton-proton collisions at the LHC, compared to a next-to-leading-order perturbative QCD calculation. The discrepancy is found in regions of the phase space where the two photons have an azimuthal angle difference of less than approximately 2.8. This has sparked discussion and debate among scientists, with some suggesting that the theory may not be accurate enough to make precise predictions, while others
TrickyDicky
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.6461
Abstract
"The integrated and differential cross sections for the production of pairs of isolated photons is measured in proton-proton collisions at a centre-of-mass energy of 7 TeV with the CMS detector at the LHC. A data sample corresponding to an integrated luminosity of 36 inverse picobarns is analysed. A next-to-leading-order perturbative QCD calculation is compared to the measurements. A discrepancy is observed for regions of the phase space where the two photons have an azimuthal angle difference, Delta(phi), less than approximately 2.8."

This is kind of strange. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
And I thought anything about the LHC was a hot topic here in the hep subforum...:rolleyes:

I think, perhaps, no one's quite sure what to make of this. My first thought was that it probably just meant that they'd mismodeled some of the low(ish) energy QCD garbage, giving a slightly higher occurrence of slightly boosted neutral pions. But, I guess the invariant mass and transverse momentum distributions would rule those out as too light.

Parlyne said:
Matt Strassler has taken a stab at discussing this over at his blog.

http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/lhcposts/two-photons-data-and-theory-disagree/

Thanks for the link, Parlyne.
What Matt Strassler says is almost as hard to believe as the LHC results, that the experimentalists doing the experiment weren't able to implement correctly the theoretical predictions. This has several interpretations, a few of them are that either the theory is not very good making predictions, or they are very hard to implement which would limit their predictive power too, or the experimentalist performing this at the LHC (wich is actually a collaboration of many people from many countries) are, let's put it like this, not very clever.
But you're right that apparently people don't know what to make of this.

TrickyDicky, is there any reason why you seem to go out of your way to be as offensive as possible? It's easy to be a sideline quarterback and say "I could do a better job".

This is a particularly difficult calculation, and had you bothered to read Reference 8 in the paper, you would have learned that two calculations can differ by factors of at least 3. This is comparable to the discrepancy seen by the Tevatron and LHC experiments. (CMS is the fourth experiment to see this)

Vanadium 50 said:
TrickyDicky, is there any reason why you seem to go out of your way to be as offensive as possible?
Huh? why would you say that? :confused: Have I really offended you? I thought personal judgements were better left out of the science forums according to PF rules.
Vanadium 50 said:
It's easy to be a sideline quarterback and say "I could do a better job".
Where do you get the impression I think that? Certainly I haven't written that anywhere.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is a particularly difficult calculation, and had you bothered to read Reference 8 in the paper, you would have learned that two calculations can differ by factors of at least 3. This is comparable to the discrepancy seen by the Tevatron and LHC experiments. (CMS is the fourth experiment to see this)
Thanks for your opinion on this.

1. What is the significance of the "Photon Pair Production Cross Sections" study at 7 TeV from CMS at LHC?

The study of photon pair production cross sections is important for understanding the fundamental interactions between particles at high energies. This study specifically focuses on the production of two photons in proton-proton collisions at a center-of-mass energy of 7 TeV, which is the highest energy achieved at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at the time of the study.

2. How was the data collected for this study?

The data was collected using the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) detector at the LHC. The detector is designed to measure the energy and trajectories of particles produced in the collisions. The data was recorded and analyzed by the CMS collaboration, which includes scientists from around the world.

3. What are the main findings of this study?

The main finding of this study is the measurement of the photon pair production cross section at 7 TeV. This measurement is compared to theoretical predictions and previous measurements at different energies. The results are consistent with the predictions of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions.

4. How does this study contribute to our understanding of particle physics?

By measuring the photon pair production cross section at 7 TeV, this study provides valuable information about the behavior of particles at high energies. This contributes to our understanding of the Standard Model and can help us identify potential deviations from it, which could lead to new discoveries and advancements in particle physics.

5. What are the potential implications of this study?

The results of this study could have implications for future experiments and theories in particle physics. Further studies of photon pair production at higher energies could provide new insight into the behavior of particles at extreme energies. Additionally, any deviations from the Standard Model predictions could lead to the discovery of new particles or interactions, which could revolutionize our understanding of the universe.