1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hopital's Rule, 2 Confusing ones

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1

So I'm having a bit of difficulty with two of these L'Hospital's Rule problems...

The first:
    [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty} (\sqrt{x^2 + x} - x)[/tex]

So when you have an indefinite form [tex]\infty - \infty[/tex], you've got to turn it into a product indefinite form, usually something like [tex]\infty * 0[/tex]

So I take that,
    [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty} (\sqrt{x^2 + x} - x) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty} x(\frac{\sqrt{x^2 +x}}{x} - 1)[/tex]

From there, I try to take the limit of the fraction in the parenthesis, but end up going in circles with it. After I differentiate it the first time and get another indefinite form, I differentiate again and from there, it loops. I keep getting the reciprocal of what I started with. I know that the answer is supposed to come out to be 1/2, but I have no idea how to get there. Any ideas?

The second one I'm having difficulty with is,
    [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 1+} lnx tan(\pi x/2)[/tex]

I'm getting a similar problem with this one. No matter which way I go when I try to turn this one into a fraction, I either get the wrong answer (-1), or it just gets continually more complex. ...The answer here is supposed to be [tex]-2/\pi[/tex]

Any pointers?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And after that, you gotta turn it into [itex]\infty / \infty [/itex] or [itex]0 / 0 [/itex], because that's when l'Hospital applies.

Useful hint:

[tex]x = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]
  4. Feb 16, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

Again, you get the indeterminate form [itex]0 \cdot \infty[/itex] but you cannot apply L'Hospital then. As quasar987 pointed out, you need something of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞: use his hint to obtain such a form.
  5. Feb 16, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Useful hint

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} \left(\sqrt{x^{2}+x}-x\right)=\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} \left(\left(\sqrt{x^{2}+x}-x\right) \cdot \frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+x}+x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+x}+x}\right) [/tex]

6. Feb 16, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the second

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^{+}}\ln x\cdot \tan\frac{\pi x}{2} [/tex]

can be solved easily if you do these steps

1. Make the substitution [itex] x=1+y [/itex]. It follows that the new limit will be

[tex] \lim_{y\rightarrow 0^{+}} \left(\mbox{something}\right) [/tex]

2. Use the approximation (coming from the MacLaurin expansion of the natural logarithm)

[tex] \ln\left(1+y)\simeq y [/tex], valid when "y" is very close to 0.

3.Use the definition of tangent wrt to sine & cosine.

4.Use the fact that

[tex] \lim_{y\rightarrow 0^{+}} \sin {}\frac{\pi}{2}\left(y+1\right) = 1 [/tex].

5. Use l'Hôpital's rule.

Final result, of course [itex]-\frac{2}{\pi} [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?