L'Hopital's Rule, 2 Confusing ones

In summary, Daniel is having difficulty with two of the L'Hospital's Rule problems. The first is x\sqrt{x^2+x}-x; when you have an indefinite form \infty - \infty, you've got to turn it into a product indefinite form, usually something like \infty * 0. The second one is lnx tan(\pi x/2); he's getting a similar problem with this one. No matter which way he tries to turn this one into a fraction, he either gets the wrong answer (-1), or it just gets continually more complex. He asks for any pointers, and quasar987 provides him with a helpful hint.
verd
Hey,

So I'm having a bit of difficulty with two of these L'Hospital's Rule problems... The first:
[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty} (\sqrt{x^2 + x} - x)[/tex]

So when you have an indefinite form [tex]\infty - \infty[/tex], you've got to turn it into a product indefinite form, usually something like [tex]\infty * 0[/tex]

So I take that,
[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty} (\sqrt{x^2 + x} - x) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty} x(\frac{\sqrt{x^2 +x}}{x} - 1)[/tex]

From there, I try to take the limit of the fraction in the parenthesis, but end up going in circles with it. After I differentiate it the first time and get another indefinite form, I differentiate again and from there, it loops. I keep getting the reciprocal of what I started with. I know that the answer is supposed to come out to be 1/2, but I have no idea how to get there. Any ideas?The second one I'm having difficulty with is,
[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 1+} lnx tan(\pi x/2)[/tex]

I'm getting a similar problem with this one. No matter which way I go when I try to turn this one into a fraction, I either get the wrong answer (-1), or it just gets continually more complex. ...The answer here is supposed to be [tex]-2/\pi[/tex]

Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
verd said:
Hey,

So when you have an indefinite form [tex]\infty - \infty[/tex], you've got to turn it into a product indefinite form, usually something like [tex]\infty * 0[/tex]

And after that, you got to turn it into [itex]\infty / \infty [/itex] or [itex]0 / 0 [/itex], because that's when l'Hospital applies.

Useful hint:

[tex]x = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

verd said:
The second one I'm having difficulty with is,
[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 1+} lnx tan(\pi x/2)[/tex]

I'm getting a similar problem with this one. No matter which way I go when I try to turn this one into a fraction, I either get the wrong answer (-1), or it just gets continually more complex. ...The answer here is supposed to be [tex]-2/\pi[/tex]
Again, you get the indeterminate form [itex]0 \cdot \infty[/itex] but you cannot apply L'Hospital then. As quasar987 pointed out, you need something of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞: use his hint to obtain such a form.

Useful hint

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} \left(\sqrt{x^{2}+x}-x\right)=\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} \left(\left(\sqrt{x^{2}+x}-x\right) \cdot \frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+x}+x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+x}+x}\right) [/tex]

Daniel.

For the second

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^{+}}\ln x\cdot \tan\frac{\pi x}{2} [/tex]

can be solved easily if you do these steps

1. Make the substitution [itex] x=1+y [/itex]. It follows that the new limit will be

[tex] \lim_{y\rightarrow 0^{+}} \left(\mbox{something}\right) [/tex]

2. Use the approximation (coming from the MacLaurin expansion of the natural logarithm)

[tex] \ln\left(1+y)\simeq y [/tex], valid when "y" is very close to 0.

3.Use the definition of tangent wrt to sine & cosine.

4.Use the fact that

[tex] \lim_{y\rightarrow 0^{+}} \sin {}\frac{\pi}{2}\left(y+1\right) = 1 [/tex].

5. Use l'Hôpital's rule.

Final result, of course [itex]-\frac{2}{\pi} [/itex].

Daniel.

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It was developed by French mathematician Guillaume François Antoine, Marquis de L'Hôpital, in the 18th century.

2. When should L'Hopital's Rule be used?

L'Hopital's Rule should be used when evaluating a limit that results in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. This rule can also be applied to limits of the form 0*∞, ∞-∞, or 0^0.

3. How does L'Hopital's Rule work?

L'Hopital's Rule states that if the limit of a function f(x) divided by g(x) results in an indeterminate form, then the limit of the derivative of f(x) divided by the derivative of g(x) will give the same result. In other words, the limit of a quotient is equal to the limit of the quotient of the derivatives.

4. Can L'Hopital's Rule be applied to all limits?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be used when the limit results in an indeterminate form. If the limit does not result in an indeterminate form, then this rule cannot be applied.

5. Are there any exceptions to L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are some cases where L'Hopital's Rule cannot be applied. For example, if the limit involves trigonometric functions or logarithmic functions, this rule cannot be used. In addition, L'Hopital's Rule can only be applied to one-sided limits, not to two-sided limits.

Confusing 1: Can L'Hopital's Rule be applied to limits at infinity?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can be applied to limits at infinity. In this case, the limit of the function f(x) divided by g(x) can be evaluated by taking the limit of the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) as x approaches infinity.

Confusing 2: Is L'Hopital's Rule the only method for evaluating indeterminate forms?

No, L'Hopital's Rule is not the only method for evaluating indeterminate forms. Other methods, such as algebraic manipulation or using other limit theorems, can also be used to evaluate these types of limits.