1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hopital's Rule - I'm loosing my hair

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    L'Hopital's Rule - I'm loosing my hair!!

Ok, I have the following:

Lim x->0 sqrt(4-x^2) -2 /x

After I change the equation to remove the radicle, I get:

Lim x->0 ((4-x^2)^1/2 - 2)/x

but when I apply the rule the, I'm loosing it :surprised I thought I should get:

1/2 ((4-x^2)^-1/2 times 2x)/1

What am I doing wrong???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Don't bother to change the equation, I like radicles :D

Top, use chain rule, bottom, easy. Straight forward now.

4. Apr 10, 2007 #3
    The only thing I see wrong with what you got is that the derivative of 4 - x^2 is -2x. But then again, I'm half asleep.

5. Apr 10, 2007 #4
    Thanks for replying! If I use the chain rule, I get:

1/2 sqrt(4-x^2) -2x ..... the two's cancel out but here is what I don't get (and this may be the rust showing on my math skills).... the answer shows as: -x/sqrt(4-x^2)/1 which I sort of understand. Why do I want to put the answer as: 1/2 sqrt(4-x^2) -2x with the radicle in the numerator?

6. Apr 10, 2007 #5
    Well I have that

df/dx = 1/2 ( (4-x^2)^(-1/2)(-2x) )/1
    = 1/2 (-2x) / (4-x^2)^(-1/2)
    = -x / sqrt(4-x^2)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  7. Apr 10, 2007 #6
    Hi Everyone,

thanks for the replies... dimensionless - I think I know what I did wrong. As you have, I didn't raise the exponent to -1/2 thus putting the radicle in the denomonator. Now I'm getting the correct answer, but more importantly - I understand what I did wrong. THANKS for the replies!

8. Apr 10, 2007 #7
    Hey - 1 last question... given that this equates to: -x / sqrt(4-x^2) I don't necessarily see that it goes to 0, unless: since -x is small and sqrt(4-x^2) is smaller, then small/smaller = 0?

Follow me?

9. Apr 10, 2007 #8
    As x -> 0, -x -> 0. As x -> 0, sqrt(4 - x^2) -> 2.

Also, be careful about talking about equivalence here. L'Hospital's Rule just says that, if you have f(x)/g(x) such that f(x) -> 0 and g(x) -> 0 as x -> a, then f(x)/g(x) approaches the same limit as f'(x)/g'(x) as x -> a, if said limit exists.

10. Apr 10, 2007 #9
    Mystic, Thanks for the clarification. That is good to note.

11. Apr 10, 2007 #10
    1 more example to make sure I'm understanding this...If I have:

lim x->1 ln x^2/(x^2+1) this can be rewitten as:

lim x->1 (2 ln x)/(x^2+1) hence using the rule, I get:

2 (1/x)/2x which resolves to:

2/2x^2 and since x->1 this equals 1

Am I getting this right?

12. Apr 10, 2007 #11

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Nope, that's not of any Indeterminate Forms. You should note that L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to the 2 Indeterminate Forms [tex]\frac{0}{0}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/tex]. In this problem, we have:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \ln (x ^ 2) = \ln (1 ^ 2) = 0[/tex]
    and:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (x ^ 2 + 1) = 1 ^ 2 + 1 = 2[/tex], so your limit should be:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\ln (x ^ 2)}{x ^ 2 + 1} = \frac{0}{2} = 0[/tex]
    You are over-complicating the problem. :rolleyes:

13. Apr 10, 2007 #12
    VietDao, I had a typo: it should have read:

lim x->1 ln x^2/(x^2<b>-</b>1) Sorry for the error. I followed what you had and that makes sense so I think I'm getting it albeit slowly. Using the revised problem, I would get 0/0?

14. Apr 10, 2007 #13

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Yes, if it does read:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\ln (x ^ 2)}{x ^ 2 - 1}[/tex], then your solution is totally correct. :)

15. Apr 10, 2007 #14
    :-)

Thanks for the assistance everyone!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?