Lie derivative of a differential form

In summary, the equation $$\mathcal{L}_v(v_i dx^i) = (v^j \partial_j v_i + v_j \partial_i v^j) dx^i$$ can be interpreted as the product rule or Leibniz's rule of differentiation for the directional derivative of velocity along spatial coordinates. The Lie derivative is used and it is recommended to search for "Lie derivative product rule" for a proof. This property is commonly found in books that define the Lie derivative. The summary also includes the student's attempt at deriving the formula using the product rule, as well as the interpretation of the second term using the exterior derivative. The final result is $$\mathcal{L}_v(v_i
daxowax
Hello,

I have a maybe unusual question. In a paper, I recently found the equation $$\mathcal{L}_v(v_i dx^i) = (v^j \partial_j v_i + v_j \partial_i v^j) dx^i$$
Where [itex]v[/itex] denotes velocity, [itex]x[/itex] spatial coordinates and [itex]\mathcal{L}_v[/itex] the Lie derivative with respect to [itex]v[/itex]. Now I'm an undergraduate who understands very little of differential geometry. Besides this, my paper does not require any knowledge of this discipline.

Is there someone who could help me out with some rough explanation or short derivation of this formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is basically the product rule, Leibniz's rule resp. of differentiation: the directional derivative of ##v_i## along ##v## performed in ##x-##coordinates. You may search the web for "Lie derivative product rule" for a proof that fits the terminology you are used to.
I assume it will be one of the first properties stated in every book that defines the Lie derivative. I first thought it would even be part of the definition before I looked it up to be sure.

Thanks, I think this has put me on the right track. My current attempt:
Using the product rule, we get
$$\mathcal{L}_v(v_i dx^i) = \mathcal{L}_v (v_i) dx^i + v_i \mathcal{L}_v (dx^i)$$
Interpreting [itex] \mathcal{L}_v [/itex] as a directional derivative the first term equals [itex] v^j \partial_j v_i dx^i [/itex]. For the second one we get [itex] v_i d \mathcal{L}_v (x^i) [/itex], since the Lie derivative is said to commute with the exterior derivative. Furthermore:
$$ \begin{align*}
v_i d \mathcal{L}_v (x^i) & = v_i d(v^j \partial_j x^i) \\
& = v_i d(v^i) \\
& = v_i \partial_j v^i dx^j
\end{align*}
$$
Relabeling the indices results in $$\mathcal{L}_v(v_i dx^i) = v^j \partial_j v_i dx^i + v_j \partial_i v^j dx^i$$ Please correct me if I'm wrong!

1. What is a Lie derivative of a differential form?

The Lie derivative of a differential form is a mathematical operation that describes how a differential form changes along the flow of a vector field. It measures the rate of change of the differential form with respect to the vector field.

2. What is the significance of the Lie derivative in differential geometry?

The Lie derivative plays a crucial role in differential geometry as it allows us to study how geometric objects, such as curves and surfaces, change along a given vector field. It helps us understand the behavior of these objects and their relationship to each other.

3. How is the Lie derivative of a differential form calculated?

The Lie derivative of a differential form can be calculated using the Cartan formula, which involves taking the exterior derivative of the form and then contracting it with the vector field. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the Lie bracket, which involves taking the commutator of the vector field and the differential form.

4. Can the Lie derivative of a differential form be interpreted geometrically?

Yes, the Lie derivative of a differential form can be interpreted geometrically as the directional derivative of the form along the vector field. It describes how the form changes in the direction of the vector field at a given point.

5. What are some applications of the Lie derivative in physics?

The Lie derivative has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of gravitational fields and fluid dynamics. It is used to describe how physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, change along a given vector field, and it plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and general relativity.