Lie derivative of vector field defined through integral curv

In summary, the conversation discusses two vector fields, X and Y, on a manifold M. It introduces the concept of an integral curve of X and its local flow, denoted as ϕt(p). The conversation then moves on to consider a map, t → at(ϕt(x)), where at(ϕt(x)) is defined using the partial derivative of ϕt with respect to x. The time derivative of at(ϕt(x)) is calculated using the chain rule. The original poster asks for help understanding this calculation and is advised to post in the differential geometry forum.
Emil_M
Consider ##X## and ##Y## two vector fields on ##M ##. Fix ##x## a point in ##M## , and consider the integral
curve of ##X## passing through ##x## . This integral curve is given by the local flow of ##X## , denoted
##\phi _ { t } ( p ) .##

Now consider $$t \mapsto a _ { t } \left( \phi _ { t } ( x ) \right) \equiv b \left( t , \phi _ { t } ( x ) \right)$$

where ##a _ { t } \left( \phi _ { t } ( x ) \right) = \frac { \partial \phi _ { - t } ^ { i } } { \partial x ^ { j } } \left( \phi _ { t } ( x ) \right)##.
We will denote ##\left(\partial \phi _ { t } ^ { i }\right)^{-1}=\partial \phi _{ - t } ^ { i }##.The time derivative of ##a _ { t } \left( \phi _ { t } ( x ) \right)##is thus calculated by applying the chain rule. The following is the solution: $$\frac { d } { d t } \left( a\ _ { t } \left( \phi _ { t } ( x ) \right) \right) = \dot { a } _ { t } \left( \phi _ { t } ( x ) \right) + \left( \partial _ { k } a _ { t } \right) \left( \phi _ { t } ( x ) \right) \dot { \phi } _ { t } ^ { k } ( x )$$

I don't understand how to get there, though, so I would greatly appreciate help!

Last edited:
Likes smoking-frog
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a pure math question and belongs in the differential geometry forum. :)

Matterwave said:
I think this is a pure math question and belongs in the differential geometry forum. :)

Hey, thanks for your reply. I will do that.

Edit: since crossposting is banned, how do I delete this post?

Emil_M said:
Edit: since crossposting is banned, how do I delete this post?
Don't. Just report your original post (menu at the middle of the bottom of the post) and ask for it to be moved to the differential geometry forum.

Ibix said:
Don't. Just report your original post and ask for it to be moved to the differential geometry forum.
Thanks!

What is a Lie derivative?

A Lie derivative is a mathematical operation that describes the change of a mathematical object, such as a vector field, along the flow of another vector field.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. It is used to represent physical quantities, such as velocity or force, that vary throughout a space.

What is an integral curve?

An integral curve is a curve that is tangent to a vector field at each point along its path. It represents the path traced out by a point moving along the flow of the vector field.

How is a vector field defined through integral curves?

A vector field can be defined through integral curves by specifying the tangent vector to the curves at each point in the space. This allows for the vector field to be continuously defined at every point in the space.

What is the significance of the Lie derivative of a vector field defined through integral curves?

The Lie derivative of a vector field defined through integral curves describes the rate of change of the vector field along its flow. It is an important tool in differential geometry and is used to study the behavior of vector fields on differentiable manifolds.