1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life after engineering PhD -- need advice

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year graduate student in nuclear engineering at a top university. I am about a year out from graduation and am beginning to think about what to do when I grow up. I have seen many friends (and read plenty of threads) about PhD's not being able to find a job after graduation, so I am starting my job search early. I would really love some advice based on your past experience!

What to do? What not to do? What would you have done differently after your PhD?

A little about me: BS in physics, studying radiation detection for my dissertation, currently do research at a national laboratory. I have a lot of experimental background, and am ok with data analysis/simulation. My largest job criteria is that I don't want it to be computationally-heavy. I would much rather work in a lab. Oh I should mention that I live in the Bay Area and can't relocate due to my family situation (is it even possible to find a non-data science job here??). I should add -- I am really trying to avoid a postdoc as much as possible.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2015 #2
    Can you get a position at LLNL? That's where I would look first. They know you, you know them. You should be able to find something on the job board...

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3
    Also look at Sandia National Labs in Livermore. They have a large satellite campus across the street from LLNL. There is a variety of research going on there, including bio, physics (mostly lasers I believe) and computer science / cyber security.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook