Life after engineering PhD -- need advice

In summary, the individual is a 4th year graduate student in nuclear engineering at a top university and is starting their job search early due to concerns about job availability after graduation. They are seeking advice from others with past experience and mention having a BS in physics and a dissertation on radiation detection. They prefer a job that is not computationally-heavy and would rather work in a lab. They mention living in the Bay Area and not being able to relocate due to family situation, and express a desire to avoid a postdoc. They are considering positions at LLNL and Sandia National Labs in Livermore, with a preference for LLNL due to familiarity.
natrium
Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year graduate student in nuclear engineering at a top university. I am about a year out from graduation and am beginning to think about what to do when I grow up. I have seen many friends (and read plenty of threads) about PhD's not being able to find a job after graduation, so I am starting my job search early. I would really love some advice based on your past experience!

What to do? What not to do? What would you have done differently after your PhD?

A little about me: BS in physics, studying radiation detection for my dissertation, currently do research at a national laboratory. I have a lot of experimental background, and am ok with data analysis/simulation. My largest job criteria is that I don't want it to be computationally-heavy. I would much rather work in a lab. Oh I should mention that I live in the Bay Area and can't relocate due to my family situation (is it even possible to find a non-data science job here??). I should add -- I am really trying to avoid a postdoc as much as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you get a position at LLNL? That's where I would look first. They know you, you know them. You should be able to find something on the job board...

Also look at Sandia National Labs in Livermore. They have a large satellite campus across the street from LLNL. There is a variety of research going on there, including bio, physics (mostly lasers I believe) and computer science / cyber security.

1. What are my career options after completing an engineering PhD?

There are various career paths available to those with an engineering PhD, including academia, industry research and development, consulting, and government positions. It is important to explore your interests and skills to determine which path is the best fit for you.

2. How can I effectively market my engineering PhD in the job market?

Networking, building a strong online presence, and highlighting your research and technical skills are key in marketing your engineering PhD. Additionally, gaining relevant work experience through internships or projects can make you stand out to potential employers.

3. Is a postdoctoral position necessary after completing an engineering PhD?

A postdoctoral position can provide valuable research experience and mentorship, but it is not always necessary. If your career goals align with a postdoc, it can be a beneficial step. However, there are also many opportunities available to those with an engineering PhD outside of academia.

4. How can I balance my work and personal life after completing an engineering PhD?

Balancing work and personal life can be a challenge, especially in a demanding field like engineering. It is important to prioritize your well-being and set boundaries. This may include scheduling time for hobbies, exercise, and spending time with loved ones.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering pursuing an engineering PhD?

Before committing to an engineering PhD program, it is important to research potential advisors and programs, as well as to consider the potential career paths and job market for your field. It is also important to have a strong support system and to prioritize self-care throughout the program.