How Do You Calculate the Tension in a String Lifting an Accelerating Mass?

In summary, the mass of 1.65 kg is suspended from a string and is pulled upward with an acceleration of 3.10 m/s^2. The tension in the string can be calculated by subtracting the weight of the object from the resultant force, which is equal to the mass multiplied by the acceleration. The correct tension is found to be 11.05N.
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

A 1.65 kg mass is suspended from a string which is pulled upward. The mass accelerates upwards with an acceleration of 3.10 m/s^2. What is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

f = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

seems really easy but i can't get the right answer

the regular tension would be 1.65kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 16.17N

if its pulled up 3.1 m/s^2, the forces in that would be 1.65kg * 3.1m/s^2 = 11.05N

then i subtracted the forces to get 5.1, but its wrong.

that wasn't right so i added the forces, still wrong.

then i did the acceleration as a whole, as in 9.8 + 3.1 = 12.9
then found the forces which is 21.3N... still wrong

anyideas? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram, and solve the problem as you see the forces there (gravity, upward acceleration included). The acceleration would be modified.

iamtrojan3 said:
seems really easy but i can't get the right answer

the regular tension would be 1.65kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 16.17N

yes regular if it was in equilibrium, so just know that is the weight of the mass.

iamtrojan3 said:
if its pulled up 3.1 m/s^2, the forces in that would be 1.65kg * 3.1m/s^2 = 11.05N

3.1 m/s2 is the resultant acceleration, multiplying it by the 1.65kg gives the resultant force.

In your free body diagram, the tension acts upwards while the weight acts downwards. Can you make a relationship between the tension,weight and resultant force? If you can do that, then the question become quite easy.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force needed to lift a mass?

The formula for calculating the force needed to lift a mass is F = m * a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. Is it easier to lift a heavier mass with a longer or shorter lever?

It is easier to lift a heavier mass with a longer lever. This is because a longer lever provides a greater mechanical advantage, allowing for the same amount of force to lift a heavier object compared to a shorter lever.

3. How does the angle of the lever affect the force needed to lift a mass?

The angle of the lever affects the force needed to lift a mass because it determines the direction of the force. The ideal angle for maximum efficiency is 45 degrees, as this allows for the force to be applied in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

4. Can I use multiple levers to lift a mass?

Yes, you can use multiple levers to lift a mass. By arranging the levers in a series, the force can be multiplied as each lever transmits its force to the next one. This can greatly increase the lifting capacity of the system.

5. How does the distance of the mass from the lever affect the force needed to lift it?

The distance of the mass from the lever affects the force needed to lift it because it determines the amount of torque applied to the lever. The further the mass is from the lever, the more force is required to lift it. This is why it is important to keep the mass as close to the lever as possible for efficient lifting.