Lifting boxes of different sizes

• Thread starter warehouseworker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary: You can do the same thing by lifting a large object using a two-person lift.In summary, the increased torque you need to generate for a given weight that is held farther away from your body is what increases the force required to lift a larger object.
warehouseworker
Okay so 8n college I majored in math but throughout my education never had a real physics course. Now I currently have a labor j9b lifting boxes. At the warehouse we separate heavier boxes based solely on wieght and not size. So I was wondering does (assuming wieght is equally distributed) does it take more force to lift a larger box since the wieght would be further away from you?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does not take more force. Force (as matters to this question) only involves the mass and the gravitational attraction to the Earth (acceleration due to gravity). Yes, there are a ton of forces actually acting on the box (ie friction, electromagnetic, etc), but the only one that matters here is gravitational force. It may require greater torque, which is equal to the force perpendicular times radius of the moment arm. This requires more mechanical energy, or more work.

warehouseworker said:
Okay so 8n college I majored in math but throughout my education never had a real physics course. Now I currently have a labor j9b lifting boxes. At the warehouse we separate heavier boxes based solely on wieght and not size. So I was wondering does (assuming wieght is equally distributed) does it take more force to lift a larger box since the weight would be further away from you?

The main issue is the increased torque you need to generate for a given weight that is held farther away from your body. That puts stress on some of your muscles, which does require more calories to be burned. It also places your back's health more at risk, the larger and larger the boxes get for a given weight. At some point you will need two people to make it a safe lift.

I would answer yes. Post #2 was about the force applied to the box to counter gravity, but I don't think that's the force the OP is interested in: I think the OP is interested in the force(s) exerted by his muscles. And a physically larger object does absolutely require you to generate more force to lift it if you have to hold it further away from your body due to its bulk. That additional force is from the torque(s) involved. Indeed, if you use leverage properly, you can in some instances decrease the forces applied by your muscles to zero or near zero (consider, standing).

Consider if you hold a small object at arms-length away from you. Say your arm is 2' long and the object weighs 1 lb. That's 2 ft-lb of torque applied even if you exclude the weight of your arm. If the knob of your shoulder that provides the fulcrum and leverage for muscle action is 2" in diameter, that's 12 lb of force applied.

Now bend your elbow and hold the object half as far away. Now the torque at your shoulder is cut in half and the force applied by your deltoid muscle is therefore cut in half (an additional force is now applied by your bicep).

Now place the object on your shoulder. How much force does your deltoid apply to your shoulder now?

Lift with leverage. If you've ever wrestled or taken judo, you know that the throws tend to be less impressive than they look because they take advantage of leverage and requrie surprisingly little strength.

Likes warehouseworker

1. What is the best way to lift boxes of different sizes?

The best way to lift boxes of different sizes is to use proper lifting techniques. This includes bending your knees, keeping your back straight, and using your leg muscles to lift the box. It is also important to keep the box close to your body and avoid twisting or jerking motions while lifting.

2. How much weight can I safely lift when lifting boxes of different sizes?

The amount of weight you can safely lift when lifting boxes of different sizes depends on your individual strength and physical capabilities. It is important to never lift more than you can comfortably handle and to take breaks when needed.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when lifting boxes of different sizes?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when lifting boxes of different sizes. These include wearing proper footwear with good grip, checking the weight of the box before lifting, and clearing a safe path to walk with the box.

4. Can lifting boxes of different sizes cause injury?

Yes, lifting boxes of different sizes can cause injury if not done properly. Using incorrect lifting techniques, lifting too much weight, or repetitive lifting can lead to strains, sprains, or other musculoskeletal injuries. It is important to take breaks and listen to your body to avoid injury.

5. How can I prevent injuries while lifting boxes of different sizes?

To prevent injuries while lifting boxes of different sizes, it is important to use proper lifting techniques, take breaks when needed, and ask for help if a box is too heavy. It is also helpful to stretch before and after lifting and to maintain good posture throughout the lifting process.