Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light as a source of electricity

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    Hello Dear Fellows!
    We all know that light is an electromagnetic wave and also we know that an antenna receives EM waves and convert it into electrical energy. My question is that is it possible for any specially design antenna to receive Light as a source of EM waves and convert into electrical energy. Which will be a continuous and cheap source of electricity. Please be positive for replying this answer.Waiting for your Reply.

Thanks
    Faisal

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's called a solar cell.

4. May 19, 2013 #3
    Reply to Steam KIng

Thanks for Replying Steam King. But i think solar cells work on the principle of photoelectric effect whereas antenna work on the principle of Faraday law of Induction.Correct me If I am wrong.
    Thanks again Steam KIng

5. May 19, 2013 #4
    I believe that he gave that answer based on the fact that you were using the terms light and electromagnetic wave in the same sentance. You see, light refers to a particlular band within the EM spectrum. EM waves in that spectrum can be changed to EM waves more efficiently and much more easily using devices where quantum effects are dominant. You then said that you wanted to know if light could design an antenna to receive Light as a source of EM waves and convert into electrical energy. The answer is no because an antenna is a macroscopic device and quantum mechanical interactions can't effect what you're interested in. At least I can't imagine any such device. I also don't think that photo cells use the photoelectric effect.

6. May 19, 2013 #5
  7. May 19, 2013 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

A photovoltaic cell will be much more efficient at visible wavelengths than any form of antenna you could produce. If you want "Light as a source of electricity" as in the title of the thread, then you want photovoltaics.

8. May 19, 2013 #7

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Efficient direct rectification of light frequency em waves should be 'possible' with special nano-scale structures and diodes.

http://www.inl.gov/technicalpublications/Documents/3992778.pdf [Broken]
    http://www.rdmag.com/news/2013/02/nanoantenna-array-could-be-vast-improvement-over-silicon

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. May 20, 2013 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. May 20, 2013 #9

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook