Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light bending around neutron and bound photon

1. Jan 30, 2006 #1
    I assume that the neutron is a particle with finite size and is <really> a single particle (that is that it does not have any further structure or components-like nucleus) and lastly it is electric nutral. I hope that these assumptions are close to the experimental observations. I am making life simple by not assuming subatomic particles or gluons etc.

We know tht a neutron is a fairly heavy particle with rest mass of about that of hydrogen atom and the size is as small as the nuclus (Fermi). Consider that a photon interacts with a nutron. As the photon gets attracted by the mass of nutron, it should feel a central force field. It is likely that this filed shuld trap the photon.

If that doesnt happen, why does that not happen?

If that happens, what happens to the space time? It should result in a number of interesting consequences. I wish the readers to enumerate them. (Is every neutron a black hole?)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The gravitational attraction between a photon and a neutron is much too weak to measure, much less bind the photon.
    There is a magnetic force between a photon and a neutron due to the neutron having a magnetic moment. This interaction is also much too weak to bind the photon, but is observed in scattering of a photon by a neutron.

4. Jan 30, 2006 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

gr-qc/0412064 has something to say about the subject.

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4
    what's that

How to get there?

6. Jan 30, 2006 #5
    that's a paper index for arxiv.org. google it for example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?