Light bulb brightness in a circuit

In summary, the question asks which light bulb in the circuit will shine the brightest. The reasoning behind the answer is that the resistance of the lower part of the parallel circuit (Rs, Rt, Rr, and Rq) will be greater than the resistance of Rp. This means that the resistor in the lower part of the circuit will give off more joules of energy per second and therefore shine brighter. The answer and reasoning are correct.
ghostbuster25
ok revision question fo me, just want to check my reasonning.

which of te bulbs on the circuit of the attatched file will shine more brightly?

i think p....because s and t r and q are in parrellel which is resistance 1/Rs+Rt+1/Rr+Rq
where Rp is the sum of the resistance of 1/Rs+Rt+1/Rr+Rq over 1 +1/Rp

the resistance of the lower part of the parellel circuit Rs,Rt,Rr and Rq will be greater than the resistance of Rp.

Is this answer and reasoning correct?

many thanks

Attachments

• circuit.bmp
    217.4 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ghostbuster25 said:
ok revision question fo me, just want to check my reasonning.

which of te bulbs on the circuit of the attatched file will shine more brightly?

i think p....because s and t r and q are in parrellel which is resistance 1/Rs+Rt+1/Rr+Rq
where Rp is the sum of the resistance of 1/Rs+Rt+1/Rr+Rq over 1 +1/Rp

the resistance of the lower part of the parellel circuit Rs,Rt,Rr and Rq will be greater than the resistance of Rp.

Is this answer and reasoning correct?

many thanks

The one that will glow the brightest will give off the most joules of energy per second, assuming that all the light bulbs are the same (ie same amount of electrical energy converted to light energy).

So which resistor is "giving off" the most joules of energy? there is a name for joules of energy per second, do you know what it is and how it is calculated?

1. How does the brightness of a light bulb change in a circuit?

The brightness of a light bulb in a circuit is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This means that as the current increases, the brightness of the bulb will also increase, and vice versa.

2. What factors affect the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

The brightness of a light bulb in a circuit is primarily affected by the voltage and resistance in the circuit. A higher voltage will result in a brighter bulb, while a higher resistance will result in a dimmer bulb.

3. How does the type of light bulb affect its brightness in a circuit?

The type of light bulb used will also affect its brightness in a circuit. Incandescent bulbs, for example, have a high resistance and therefore require a higher voltage to produce the same brightness as a LED bulb, which has a lower resistance.

4. Why does the brightness of a light bulb decrease over time in a circuit?

The brightness of a light bulb in a circuit may decrease over time due to factors such as the buildup of dirt and dust on the bulb, which can decrease the amount of light emitted. Additionally, as a light bulb ages, its resistance may increase, resulting in a dimmer bulb.

5. How can I increase the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

To increase the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit, you can either increase the voltage or decrease the resistance. However, it is important to note that increasing the voltage beyond the recommended level can be dangerous and may damage the bulb or other components in the circuit.