Can camera flashes really damage historical sites?

• Thread starter saim_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, an official said that when taking pictures of World Heritage Sites, "one camera flash damages the 400 years old tiles". He also said that there is little difference between using a flash and not using a flash, and that using a flash would reveal hidden cameras around buildings. He also said that using a flash inside would not necessarily be safe.
saim_
light damages buildings!?

I just heard an explanation for banning camera picture taking of World Heritage Sites by an official on TV: When asked about it he rhetorically replied, "Do you know how much one camera flash damages the 400 years old tiles?".

Its not unthinkable that light could interact with and damage some material but could it be to an extent that is worth even considering? I couldn't find any such explanation on the internet.

This guy is no scientist or engineer and frequently makes stupid statements with no basis, regarding all fields of knowledge known to man; so I had to ask :D

Science news on Phys.org

A camera flash is pretty negligible compared to direct sunlight, so that explanation is completely bogus. It has some merit as far as banning flash photos of old paintings (kept indoors), but none whatsoever for buildings.

This could be a thread starter: Inane scientific conclusions from the guy on the street.

Smoke is attracted to light, right?

Flash photography could reveal hidden cameras around buildings if there are any or even possibly damage their sensors.

@Phrak: he isn't really a guy on the street but he's not a science person either; a high ranking bureaucrat who has supervised maintenance of World Heritage sites and has even worked with UNESCO in such projects. One wouldn't expect someone like that to make such stupid claims but this dude continues to amaze and amuse.

saim_ said:
@Phrak: he isn't really a guy on the street but he's not a science person either; a high ranking bureaucrat who has supervised maintenance of World Heritage sites and has even worked with UNESCO in such projects. One wouldn't expect someone like that to make such stupid claims but this dude continues to amaze and amuse.

There's little difference. One is joe blow on the street. There other is an equally ignorant jo blo in a position to dictate rules on his own turf.

Defy authority that doesn't author anything. And then defy those that do.

Not using flash when taking pictures on the outside - obvious idiocy. Not using flash inside - not necessarily.

Some time ago a friend of mine (he is a professional photographer) bought a new Metz flash, one of their strongest (I don't remember the model). He accidentally discharged it when it was touching lacquered cover of some art album. Lacquer simply disappeared. You need thousands of flashes from distance for similar effect, but single group of Japanese tourists makes several kflashes per hour.

Last edited:

I've been in some places where they don't allow flashes, but I thought it was just because it's usually a place of enough religious/ historical significance where 1000 flashes would ruin the effect. It's not a sports stadium.

As for the light actually damaging the art...never thought of that.

Related to Can camera flashes really damage historical sites?

What is light damage?

Light damage is a type of damage that occurs to buildings as a result of exposure to sunlight. It can manifest as discoloration, fading, or degradation of building materials such as paint, wood, and textiles.

What causes light damage to buildings?

Light damage is primarily caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. This radiation can break down the chemical bonds in building materials, leading to structural damage and discoloration.

Which buildings are most susceptible to light damage?

Buildings with high sun exposure, such as those with large windows or located in sunny climates, are more susceptible to light damage. Additionally, buildings with light-colored or reflective surfaces are also at a higher risk.

How can light damage be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent light damage to buildings. One way is to use UV-blocking coatings on windows and other surfaces. Another option is to use UV-resistant building materials, such as tinted glass or UV-resistant paint. Providing shade through awnings or strategically placed trees can also help reduce sun exposure.

Can light damage be repaired?

In some cases, light damage can be repaired by replacing damaged materials or repainting surfaces. However, prevention is the best approach as repairing light damage can be costly and may not always fully restore the original appearance of the building.

Back