Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light move away from the emitter at 1.00 c ?

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1
    if an object moving at .99 c emits a light, does that light move away from the emitter at 1.00 c ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2009 #2
    Re: .99c

Yes, because the light does not know that the source is in motion.

4. Jul 8, 2009 #3

if the emitter suddenly stops, does the light know it? If the light doesn`t know it, the light will be moving at c plus the previous speed of the emitter.

5. Jul 8, 2009 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No it won't. A stationary observer would still measure the speed of light as c. The invariance of the speed of light is a fundamental concept in special relativity.

6. Jul 8, 2009 #5

The light will not ever be moving at c plus the speed of the emitter. Light rays travel at c. Every light ray in vacuum will be measured to be traveling at c by every inertial observer. The emitter measures the light ray to recede from him at c. The receiver measures the light ray to approach him at c. Any and all passers-by to this experiment measure the speed of the light ray as c. It makes no difference whatsoever what the various observers' velocities are relative to each other; they all, each and every one of them, measure the speed of that light ray as c. Not c + the velocity of the emitter, not c + the velocity of the receiver, not c + anything. C.

That is what it means for the speed of light to be constant.

7. Jul 9, 2009 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a way it will, but with a different definition of "plus". In SR you have to add up velocities like this:

[tex]u\oplus v=\frac{u+v}{1+\frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

If u=0.99c and v=c, the result is

[tex]u\oplus v=\frac{0.99c+c}{1+\frac{0.99c^2}{c^2}}=\frac{1.99c}{1.99}=c[/tex]

What if u isn't 0.99c? Let's try it again, with u arbitrary and v=c:

[tex]u\oplus v=\frac{u+c}{1+\frac{uc}{c^2}}=\frac{c\left(\frac u c+1\right)}{1+\frac{u}{c}}=c[/tex]

8. Jul 9, 2009 #7

Fredrik, what equation is that? Does it have a name I can google? :)

9. Jul 9, 2009 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Jul 9, 2009 #9

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the relativistic addition of velocity formula.

11. Jul 9, 2009 #10

Thank you. That's handy.

12. Jul 13, 2009 #11

Does the [tex]u \oplus v[/tex] means the velocity of the emitter relative to the observer plus the velocity of the photon relative to the emitter? If I could try your patience for one more stupid question, what's a plus sign with a circle around it? Just a sign for adding vectors or what?

Thanks again.

13. Jul 13, 2009 #12

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v is the velocity relative the observer for objectA and u is the velocity of the objectB relative objectA, always. And [itex]
    u \oplus v
    [/itex] means the velocity of object B as measured by the observer. [itex]
    \oplus
    [/itex] means "composition law for velocities under boosts"

In the wiki article this [itex]
    u \oplus v
    [/itex] is just called "s".

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  14. Jul 13, 2009 #13

Woah! Back to the old drawing board. Thank you for the explanation. I though [tex]u \oplus v[/tex] or "s" was the velocity of objectB relative to the observer!

15. Jul 13, 2009 #14

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

here is really good explanation what is included http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/velocity.html

forget about my last post, I was not focused on this thread, Sorry for that.

I have changed it now so it should be correct now, I had many irons in the oven :-) (and maybe I was confused by the non-standard notation \oplus ) ;-)

The point of the calculation given by Fredrik is that light always move with speed c for all observers.

16. Jul 13, 2009 #15

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, that's confused.

If A, B and C are 3 objects all moving along the same straight line
    • u is the velocity of B measured by A
    • v is the velocity of C measured by B
    • [itex]u \oplus v [/itex] is the velocity of C measured by A
    The symbol [itex]\oplus[/itex] is not standard notation. Some may use it but others don't. It's just a way of denoting a different way of "adding" velocities. I'd prefer to call it "composition" rather than "addition".

17. Jul 13, 2009 #16

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yup I know, it was an error, I fixed it.

regarding "composition" vs. "addition" I actually mentioned that [itex]
    \oplus
    [/itex] stands for "composition" right? why adding that?

Cheers

18. Jul 13, 2009 #17

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, my intentions weren't clear. That comment was really aimed at Pesto in answer to post #11.

In case anyone reading this thread is confused, I was correcting an error in post #12, but then malawi_glenn corrected his own error at the same time, making my comment out of date by the time I posted it. But it's too late to undo that now without causing even further confusion..... :frown:

19. Jul 13, 2009 #18

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it's ok, it do happens sometimes that a person is editing his posts meanwhile someone is pointing out the misstake they did - no big deal :biggrin:

20. Jul 13, 2009 #19

Thanks again. Fixed my post too :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook