Light Refection and Snell's Law

In summary: However, based on the given information and equations, we can determine that the angle of refraction in the linseed oil is 15.63 degrees, and using Snell's Law, the angle of refraction in the water is 19.47 degrees. In summary, by applying Snell's Law and using the refractive index of linseed oil, we can determine the angles of refraction in both the linseed oil and water.
myersb05
The light beam shown in Figure P22.21 makes an angle of ϕ = 23.5° with the normal line NN' in the linseed oil. Determine the angles θ and θ'. (The refractive index for linseed oil is 1.48.)
The normal line makes a 90 angle with the surface of the linseed oil. The light then passes through water but I need the linseed oil angle to get the water angle.

Snell's Law

So I used 1*sin(23.5)=1.48*sin(theta) and solved for theta. I got 15.63 degrees which is incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
If the angle is in the linseed oil then it is the angle after it has been refracted at the air linseed interface. Thats my guess anyway without seeing the diagram.

myersb05 said:
Snell's Law

So I used 1*sin(23.5)=1.48*sin(theta) and solved for theta. I got 15.63 degrees which is incorrect

That equation works for an air-to-linseed oil interface or a vacuum-to-oil interface.

You have a water-oil interface; the refractive index of water must enter into Snell's law somehow.

edit added:
Plus, use Kurdt's suggestion of putting the angle on the correct side of the equation :-)

I think Redbelly since its asking for two angles that it will be the linseed oil between air and water. Like I said before however, a diagram would be nice.

I agree that showing us the diagram would have been helpful, so that we wouldn't have to spend time discussing and guessing at what is going on.

1. What is light reflection?

Light reflection is the bouncing back of light when it hits a surface. This can occur when light travels from one medium to another, such as from air to water, or when it hits a reflective surface like a mirror.

2. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the Law of Refraction, is a formula that describes how light bends as it passes through different mediums. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is constant, given the same two mediums.

3. What is the relationship between light reflection and Snell's Law?

The relationship between light reflection and Snell's Law is that they both involve the behavior of light as it passes through different mediums. Snell's Law specifically describes how light bends, or refracts, as it passes through mediums of different densities. Light reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface and changes direction.

4. How is Snell's Law used in everyday life?

Snell's Law is used in everyday life in a variety of ways. It is used in the design of lenses for glasses, cameras, and telescopes. It also plays a role in the formation of rainbows and mirages. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light in water, which is crucial for activities like swimming and diving.

5. What is the practical application of understanding light reflection and Snell's Law?

Understanding light reflection and Snell's Law has many practical applications. It allows us to design and improve optical instruments like microscopes, telescopes, and cameras. It also helps us understand how light behaves in different environments, which is important for fields like meteorology and oceanography. Additionally, understanding these concepts is crucial for developing technologies like fiber optics and solar panels.