Lightbulb Brightness in a circuit.

In summary: P = V^2/RIn summary, to rank the lightbulbs in order of brightness, it is important to understand that all the lightbulbs have the same resistance, but the current through each bulb may vary. The equation for power (P = V^2/R) can be used to determine the brightness of each bulb, as a larger current through a bulb will result in a brighter glow. By analyzing the circuit and using the equation for equivalent resistance (R_eq = 1/((1/R_1) + (1/R_2))), it can be determined that bulb A is the brightest, followed by bulbs B and C which have an equal brightness, and then bulbs D and E which are the least bright due
1988Greens

Homework Statement

Rank the lightbulbs in order of brighness.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5871/lightbulb.png

Homework Equations

All lightbulbs are identical.

The Attempt at a Solution

A is brightest, then B=C, then D=E

A>B=C>D=E

B and C are the same brightness level because they are in parallel, D and E are the least bright because they are in series.

I even downloaded a circuit creator to verify my solution but apprently I am still not correct and I am not sure why. (program from PhET Interactive Simulations Copyright © 2004-2010 University of Colorado)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi 1988Greens! Welcome to PF! :wink:
1988Greens said:
A is brightest, then B=C, then D=E

A>B=C>D=E

B and C are the same brightness level because they are in parallel, D and E are the least bright because they are in series.

Sorry, but that's just waffle. :redface:

Physics is equations.

So what equation are you using to find the power through each bulb? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi 1988Greens! Welcome to PF! :wink:Sorry, but that's just waffle. :redface:

Heh Waffle? I like waffles they are delicious.
tiny-tim said:
Physics is equations.

I would use V= IxR They give no numbers for the problem, so I would just have R or 1/R for the resistances in any given bulb?

B and C Resistance = 1/R + 1/R
= 2/R

D and E Resistance = R + R
= 2R

I don't really know I am pretty lost at this point.

Say if they gave you some numbers i.e. If it was a 12V battery with 1 Amp current Volts for bulb A would be V= 1xRx2/R
= 2R/R
= 2 Volts for bulb A? I feel like I am way off.

You don't need to use any numbers. Can you figure out the current through each bulb? For example, the potential difference across D and E combined is V (since the two bulbs straddle the battery), so the current through each is V/2R. The larger the current through a bulb, the brighter it glows.

Yea, I can't seem to figure out the current for bulbs B and C. I mean I get the voltage for D and E V/2R, add the 2 resistances together so the current for bulb B would be VR? I can't figure out what it would be for A? would it be:

V/((1/R + 1/R) + R)?

I have difficulty understanding this.

1988Greens said:
Yea, I can't seem to figure out the current for bulbs B and C. I mean I get the voltage for D and E V/2R, add the 2 resistances together so the current for bulb B would be VR? I can't figure out what it would be for A? would it be:

V/((1/R + 1/R) + R)?

I have difficulty understanding this.

Not quite. Remember resistors is parallel are not Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

You need to divide the whole thing by 1:

[tex] \frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} [/tex]

which is

[tex] R_{eq} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2}} [/tex]

which is

[tex] R_{eq} = \frac{R_1 R_2}{R_1 + R_2} [/tex]

Try that first for bulbs B and C, then add that to the resistance of bulb A in series to get the overall resistance of the path.

1988Greens said:
Heh Waffle? I like waffles they are delicious.

:tongue2: mmm … waffles! :tongue2:​
tiny-tim said:
I would use V= IxR

ah, now that's why it's not working out for you.

Do it logically …

the question asked for the power, so you need an equation for power, which V = IR isn't. :wink:

Moreover, you know that all the bulbs have the same R, but not the same I, so preferably you want an equation involving P V and R but not I.

Which is … ? :smile:

What is the relationship between voltage and lightbulb brightness in a circuit?

The relationship between voltage and lightbulb brightness in a circuit is directly proportional. This means that as voltage increases, the brightness of the lightbulb also increases. Conversely, as voltage decreases, the brightness of the lightbulb also decreases.

How does the resistance of a lightbulb affect its brightness in a circuit?

The resistance of a lightbulb affects its brightness in a circuit by being inversely proportional. This means that as resistance increases, the brightness of the lightbulb decreases. This is because a higher resistance means less current is flowing through the circuit, resulting in less energy being transferred to the lightbulb.

Can different types of lightbulbs have different brightness levels in the same circuit?

Yes, different types of lightbulbs can have different brightness levels in the same circuit. This is because different types of lightbulbs have different resistances and may require different amounts of voltage to reach their maximum brightness. For example, an LED lightbulb may require less voltage to reach its maximum brightness compared to a traditional incandescent lightbulb.

How does the placement of a lightbulb in a circuit affect its brightness?

The placement of a lightbulb in a circuit can affect its brightness in two ways. Firstly, the position of the lightbulb in relation to other components in the circuit can impact the amount of voltage and current that reaches the lightbulb. Secondly, the number of lightbulbs in a circuit can also affect the brightness of each individual lightbulb as the voltage and current are shared among them.

Can changing the power supply affect the brightness of a lightbulb in a circuit?

Yes, changing the power supply can affect the brightness of a lightbulb in a circuit. A higher voltage power supply will result in a brighter lightbulb, while a lower voltage power supply will result in a dimmer lightbulb. It is important to ensure that the power supply is compatible with the lightbulb and circuit to avoid damaging any components.