1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lighting up a fluorescent lamp with a Van De Graaf generator

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

Let's say i have the following:

I approach a charged-up VDG holding a fluorescent lamp. The end nearest the VDG is labelled A and the end furthest away from the VDG is labelled B. My hand is holding the lamp in the middle, i.e between ends A and B.

The region inside the lamp between A and my hand lights up. This is due to a potential difference between A (high potential) and my hand (ground potential). The region inside the lamp between B and my hand does not light up.

My question is this: IS there any potential difference between end B and my hand also? My understanding is that without my hand there, end B should also have a high potential,though not as high as A since it is further away from the charged up sphere. Since the region between B and my hand does not light up, i gather there is no potential difference between B and my hand. If that is the case, does it mean to say that B is now also at ground potential?

Thanks and regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

Guys? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook