Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightning Strike and electrical power surge

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1
    Recently, lightning hit near my home (as best as I could tell, not my home directly) and caused considerable damage to my home computer. I have a wireless network with 2 desktops.....one direct wired using ethernet cable and the other using a NIC card. When the lightning struck, my wired computer lost the modem, the router, and that was it! My wireless computer lost the NIC card (it was blasted into many pieces inside the tower) and my surround sound speaker system. Both CPUs seem fine.......and really all other components in the house are fine. I'm thinking the CATV line got struck and surged into the modem and router. BUT WHY DID THE WIRELESS CONNECTED COMPUTER HAVE DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY THE NIC CARD BEING BLASTED APART? Just wondering what was going there? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

The computer's internet connection was wireless, right? I mean, was it plugged in to the power source in the wall?

4. Jun 14, 2008 #3
    Both computers (gateway and remote) were plugged into surge protection power strips.

5. Nov 27, 2010 #4
    Sorry for digging it up. I would also like to know the answer to this one.

6. Nov 28, 2010 #5
    After several conversations with numerous electricians and academic professionals, I've yet to ascertain a definitive answer as to the occurrence of the electrical surge!

7. Nov 28, 2010 #6
    Hi CM

You were using NIC to connect the two computers. If there was no damage to the motherboards, then that would mean that the problem happened with the internet cable carrying the signals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?