Lightning strikes a swimming pool

In summary, if a lightning strikes a swimming pool, the person swimming will be affected by the excess charge transmitted through the water molecules. Even if it is not a complete circuit, the high rate of charge transfer can still result in injury. This is similar to the scenario of an electricity cable connected to a power source and splashed in water, where the person touching the water can also get hurt due to the transmission of the electric charge. This is because water is electrolytic and contains ions that can be affected by the electric field.
primarygun
If a lightning strikes a swimming pool, what happens to me if I am swimming?
I think it is not a complete circuit, so I won't get enormous current.
But, will the sharing of excess charge too fast and I get hurt?

Science news on Phys.org
The same answer, if an electricity cable was connected from one end an electricity source and the other end was splashed in water..And u put ur bare leg into this water what will happen to u??

If water molecules can transmit the electiricity to ur leg, it'll transmit the charge of the lightning to ur whole body...

but

Nomy-the wanderer said:
The same answer, if an electricity cable was connected from one end an electricity source and the other end was splashed in water..And u put ur bare leg into this water what will happen to u??

If water molecules can transmit the electiricity to ur leg, it'll transmit the charge of the lightning to ur whole body...

If it is not a complete circuit, I won't get hurt.
Nevertheless, lightning bring charges into the pool and my body will get the charge at a high rate resulting a large current?

An RC circuit with a battery isn't technically a closed circuit, but there's still current, if only for a while. If your swimming pool is electrolytic (which is almost certainly is), it will have ions that will be affected by the huge electric field. That is, yes, you will get hurt.

What happens when lightning strikes a swimming pool?

When lightning strikes a swimming pool, the electrical current will travel along the metal pool fence or any other metal objects in or around the pool. This can lead to electrical shock or electrocution for anyone in or near the pool.

Can lightning strike the water in a swimming pool?

Yes, lightning can strike the water in a swimming pool. Water is a good conductor of electricity, so if lightning strikes the pool, the electrical current can travel through the water and potentially harm anyone in the pool.

What safety precautions should be taken during a lightning storm near a swimming pool?

It is important to stay out of the pool and away from any metal objects, such as pool fences, during a lightning storm. Seek shelter in a sturdy building or a car with a metal roof until the storm has passed.

Are above-ground or in-ground pools more susceptible to lightning strikes?

Both types of pools are equally susceptible to lightning strikes. The important factor is the presence of metal objects, such as pool fences, near the pool that can conduct electricity.

How can I protect my swimming pool from lightning strikes?

To protect your swimming pool from lightning strikes, you can install a grounding system that will redirect the electrical current away from the pool and into the ground. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain any metal objects, such as pool fences, to ensure they are properly grounded.