Limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity and solving for x=1: Homework Help

• Thread starter Nope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the first problem involves finding the limit of a function as x approaches -1. The correct answer is 1, but the function is not continuous at x = -1. The second problem involves finding the limit of a function as n approaches infinity. The answer is infinity, but a similar limit has a different and surprising limit value.
Nope

Homework Statement

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9366/95631341.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3416/37907619.jpg
lim f(x)
x->[tex]1\infty[/tex]
I don't know how to do the first one..
ty!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, a through d and g are right, but e and f are wrong. The limit as x --> -1 is 1, not 3. Since both the left-side and right-side limits exist and are equal, the limit itself exists. It just happens that f(-1) is not equal to 1. That says that f is not continuous at x = -1.

I think i got it
just 1 more question,
lim (1.01+(1/n))n
x->[tex]\infty[/tex]
How would you solve it?

Last edited:
I think you mean as n --> infinity.
As n gets larger, 1.01 + 1/n approaches 1.01. When the quantity 1.01 + 1/n is raised to the power n, what happens to the whole expression?

Note that a similar limit, (1 + 1/n)^n has a quite different, and somewhat surprising limit value.

Is it infinity?
but when i put it in wolfram
the left side limit is 0? I don't get it... Does it mean, the limit does not exist?

Yes (1.01 + 1/n)n approaches [itex]\infty[/itex] as n approaches [itex]\infty[/itex]. I don't know what you're saying in regard to the left side limit -- n can approach [itex]\infty[/itex] only from one side. What are you asking?

What is the concept of limit?

The concept of limit refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a specific value. It is used in calculus to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point, such as whether it approaches a certain value or tends toward infinity.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, or the use of L'Hôpital's rule. Generally, you plug in the value that the input approaches and simplify the expression to determine the limit.

Why is understanding limits important?

Understanding limits is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in calculus and in the analysis of functions. It allows us to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point, which is crucial in applications such as optimization, physics, and engineering.

What are the types of limits?

There are three types of limits: one-sided limits, where the input approaches from either the left or right side of the specific value; infinite limits, where the function approaches infinity or negative infinity; and limits at infinity, where the input approaches positive or negative infinity.

How are limits used in real-life applications?

Limits are used in various real-life applications, including predicting the growth of populations, determining the maximum and minimum values of a function, and analyzing the behavior of systems approaching equilibrium. They are also used in the fields of finance, economics, and statistics to make accurate predictions and decisions.