Understanding the Limit of a Function Definition

In summary, the limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a given point p is not necessarily the same as the function f(x) at x=p.
A Dhingra
hello..
I have a query about the definition of limit (the ε-δone).
" Suppose f : R → R is defined on the real line and p,L ∈ R. It is said the limit of f as x approaches p is L and written

lim x→p f(x)=L

if the following property holds:

For every real ε > 0, there exists a real δ > 0 such that for all real x, 0 < | x − p | < δ implies | f(x) − L | < ε. "

As per the meaning of definition mentioned " given an arbitrary ε > 0,we got to find a δ > 0 small enough to guarantee that f(x) is within ε-distance from L whenever x is δ-distance of a."
Can we check for existence of a limit if we twist it a bit like this " given an arbitrary δ > 0, to find an ε> 0 small enough to guarantee that x is within δ-distance from L whenever f(x) is ε -distance of a." So here finding out an ε for a δ will allow us to say that the limit exists?

Thanks for any help..

Physics news on Phys.org
No.
Because a continuous function f(x) can perfectly well have function values arbitrarily close to f(p), even though x is a long way from p.
For example, the function f(x)=0 is such a function. there is no epsilon that can guarantee that x is close to p, even though |f(x)-f(p)| is less than epsilon.

Last edited:
Ahhhhh...
Just trying one example,please have a look at it and tell me if i have got exactly what you have said..
Let me consider a function f(x)=sinx in the interval [0, 4pi] then at p --> pi/2, f(x) -->1
then according to my interpretation f(x)-->1 for small region around pi/2 as well as 5pi/2.
I think i got it, the very definition of a function discards this type of limit to be true, right?

Thanks a lot..

Also if i call a function to be one to one then this should hold , right?

A Dhingra said:
Also if i call a function to be one to one then this should hold , right?

I believe you are right.
The criterion you set up seems to pinpoint injective, continuous functions as the class satisfying it. (There MIGHT be some subtleties here I haven't discovered that would extend the class of functions satisfying your criterion as well as the continuous, injective functions)

Thanks..

What is the definition of a limit of a function?

The limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as the input (independent variable) gets closer and closer to a specific value (usually denoted as "x" or "a"). It represents the behavior of a function near a particular point on its graph.

Why is understanding the limit of a function important?

Understanding the limit of a function is important because it helps us analyze and describe the behavior of a function, especially near discontinuities or points where the function is undefined. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a function without having to evaluate it at every single point.

Can a function have a limit at a point where it is undefined?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point where it is undefined. This is because the limit only considers the behavior of the function near that point, not necessarily at that point. However, if the limit does not exist, then the function is said to be discontinuous at that point.

How do you determine the limit of a function algebraically?

To determine the limit of a function algebraically, we can use the limit laws and properties, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules. We can also use direct substitution or factoring to simplify the function before taking the limit.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function approaching a point from one direction (either the left or right side), while a two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function approaching a point from both directions. One-sided limits are used when the function is discontinuous at that point, while two-sided limits are used when the function is continuous at that point.