Limit of a Greatest Integer Function using Squeeze help

In summary, the conversation is about using the squeeze theorem to prove a limit involving the floor function. The person is struggling with setting up the inequalities and the meaning of double brackets in the floor function. The expert provides a step-by-step explanation of how to use the squeeze theorem and corrects some mistakes in the person's attempt. The conversation ends with a simplified inequality that satisfies the squeeze theorem.
Kindayr
my midterm is in 4 hours and this actually the only thing i need help with.

Homework Statement

prove using squeeze theorem that lim(x-> +inf) (x^2 - [[x^2]])/x = 0

Homework Equations

g(x)<=f(x)<=h(x) [squeeze theorem]

The Attempt at a Solution

on the assignment i didn't know we had to use squeeze, so i just plugged in +inf and got 0, but we had to use squeeze. i wasn't there for his explanation of it.

all i need help with is setting up the inequality for the squeeze theorem and I'm fine, I'm just drawing blanks for all of this. help would be sooooo amazing. again, this is the only thing I'm confused on for my midterm.

Physics news on Phys.org
what do the double brackets mean?

the greatest integer function/the floor function.

so if its 5.5, the [[]] make it 5, if its -6.3 the [[]] make it -7

i've been trying, and the only result i can get, and i don't know if its true is:

x-1 < [[x]] <= x

(x^2 - (x^2 - 1))/x < (x^2 - [[x^2]])/x <= (x^2 - (x^2))/x

-1/x < f(x) <= 0/x

-1/x < f(x) <= 0

(lim x-->+inf) -1/x = 0
(lim x-->+inf) 0 = 0

.:. through squeeze theorem, (lim x-->+inf) f(x) = 0

but does that squeeze theorem work if the inequality on the left is just < and not <=?

close, few mistakes though
first f is always positive, consider the squeeze limts you get, they don't really make sense

Kindayr said:
i've been trying, and the only result i can get, and i don't know if its true is:

x-1 < [[x]] <= x

(x^2 - (x^2 - 1))/x < (x^2 - [[x^2]])/x <= (x^2 - (x^2))/x
few changes here, first start with the assumption x>1 to reduce confusion later
the first line is correct
x-1< [[x]] <= x

now square everything
(x-1)2< [[x]]2 <= x2

multiply by -1, reversing the order
-x2<= -[[x]]2 < -(x-1)2

add x2 and divide by x gives

0=(x2 - x2)/x<= (x2-[[x]]2)/x < (x2-(x-1)2)/x

Kindayr said:
-1/x < f(x) <= 0/x

-1/x < f(x) <= 0

(lim x-->+inf) -1/x = 0
(lim x-->+inf) 0 = 0

.:. through squeeze theorem, (lim x-->+inf) f(x) = 0

but does that squeeze theorem work if the inequality on the left is just < and not <=?

no its fine (if you use the correct squeeze as above), its still squeezed between 2 functions that go to the same limit

Last edited:
if you do it your way though:

x-1 < [[x]] <= x

(x-1)2 < [[x]]2 <= x2

first of all, does [[x2]] = [[x]]2?

then we goto:

-x2 <= -[[x]]2 < -(x-1)2

0/x <= f(x) < (x2 - x2 + 2x + 1)/x

don't we?

then you'd have 0 <= f(x) < 2

should i start off with:
for x>1
x^2 - 1 < [[x^2]] < x^2

and move from there?

yeah that looks good, i misplaced the bracket,

so for x>1
x - 1 < [[x]] <= x
giving
x2 - 1 < [[x2]] <= x2
minus
- x2 < -[[x2]] <= -x2+ 1
then +x2
0 = x2- x2 <x2 -[[x2]] <= x2-x2+ 1 = 1
then /x

0/x< (x2 -[[x2]])x <= 1/x as required

What is the definition of the greatest integer function?

The greatest integer function, denoted as [x], is a mathematical function that returns the largest integer less than or equal to the input value x. It is also known as the floor function.

How is the limit of a greatest integer function computed?

The limit of a greatest integer function is computed by evaluating the function at the given input value and approaching the limit from both sides of the input value. If the function approaches different values from the left and right side, the limit does not exist.

What is the purpose of using the squeeze theorem when finding the limit of a greatest integer function?

The squeeze theorem is used to help determine the limit of a greatest integer function when it is not immediately obvious. By finding two other functions that are both greater and less than the greatest integer function, the squeeze theorem can be used to "squeeze" the greatest integer function and find its limit.

Can the limit of a greatest integer function be a non-integer value?

No, the limit of a greatest integer function can only be an integer value or not exist at all. This is because the greatest integer function only outputs integer values, so it cannot approach a non-integer value as its limit.

Can the squeeze theorem always be used to find the limit of a greatest integer function?

No, the squeeze theorem can only be used if there are two other functions that "squeeze" the greatest integer function and have the same limit as the greatest integer function. If such functions do not exist, the squeeze theorem cannot be used and other methods must be employed to find the limit.