Convergence of Roots at Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses question 41 in chapter 5 of Spivak's calculus, concerning the limit of ##c^{\frac 1 n}## as ##n## grows very large. The solution for part a) is provided and the conversation moves on to discussing part b), specifically for the case when ##0<c<1##. After trying different approaches, the conversation concludes that the proof for part b) can be derived by using the same method as in part a), but replacing ##c>1## with ##\frac 1 c>1##. This leads to the conclusion that ##(1/c)^{1/n}## behaves similarly to ##c^{1/n}## as ##n## becomes
Adgorn

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I'm currently making my way through Spivak's calculus and got stuck in question 41 of chapter 5. It's important to note that at this point, the book has only reached the subject of limits (haven't reached continuous functions, derivatives, integrals, series etc.).

a) For ##c>1##, show that ##c^{\frac 1 n}=\sqrt[n] c## approaches 1 as ##n## becomes very large.
b) More generally, if ##c>0##, then ##c^{\frac 1 n}## approaches 1 as ##n## becomes very large.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli inequality: ##(1+h)^n≥1+nh## for ##h>-1##

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to solve a): Since ##c>1##, ##c^{\frac 1 n}>1##. So suppose ##c^{\frac 1 n}-1>\epsilon##, in other words ##c>(1+\epsilon)^n≥1+n\epsilon##, this means that ##n<\frac {c-1} \epsilon##. Thus, for ##n≥\frac {c-1} \epsilon##, ##1<c^{\frac 1 n}<\epsilon##. This solution is the same in the answer book.

I got stuck in b) (the answer book does not contain a solution for it, neither does the end of the study book). The case is trivial for ##c=1##, so all that's really left to prove is the case for ##0<c<1##, which I can't seem to manage. Since ##c^{\frac 1 n}<1##, I need to prove ##1-c^{\frac 1 n}<\epsilon##. Trying to same method as in a), if ##1-c^{\frac 1 n}>\epsilon##, then ##c<(1-\epsilon)^n##. This time, the Bernoulli inequality is of little use, assuming ##\epsilon<1##, all it gives it ##(1-\epsilon)^n≥1-n\epsilon##, and I can't really do anything with that.

Next I tried reverse engineering, if ##1-c^{\frac 1 n}<\epsilon##, then ##c>(1-\epsilon)^n≥1-n\epsilon## (assuming ##\epsilon<1##), and so ##n>\frac {1-c} \epsilon##. But I can't prove the opposite way (which is what I need), since assuming ##n>\frac {1-c} \epsilon## only gives ##c>1-n\epsilon##, and I can't really do anything with it.

So yeah, I seem to be missing something and help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##(1/c)^n## if ##0<c<1##?

Orodruin said:
What is ##(1/c)^n## if ##0<c<1##?
When ##n## grows very large it approaches infinity, but I don't seem to be able to incorporate that into the solution. The comment gave me the idea to replace the ##c>1## in the proof of a) with ##\frac 1 c>1## so that ##0<c<1##, but I reached the same dead end where I can only say how small ##n## is if I assume ##\epsilon<1##...

Has Spivak proven basic results about limits of sums, products and quotients of sequences at this point? If so, you should be able to establish the following proposition:

If [itex]a_n[/itex] is a sequence such that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 1[/itex] then [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac 1{a_n} = 1.[/tex]

Likes Adgorn
Adgorn said:
When ##n## grows very large it approaches infinity, but I don't seem to be able to incorporate that into the solution. The comment gave me the idea to replace the ##c>1## in the proof of a) with ##\frac 1 c>1## so that ##0<c<1##, but I reached the same dead end where I can only say how small ##n## is if I assume ##\epsilon<1##...
Sorry, I meant to write ##(1/c)^{1/n}##. How does this number behave as ##n## becomes large and how does it relate to ##c^{1/n}##?

Likes Adgorn
pasmith said:
Has Spivak proven basic results about limits of sums, products and quotients of sequences at this point? If so, you should be able to establish the following proposition:

If [itex]a_n[/itex] is a sequence such that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 1[/itex] then [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac 1{a_n} = 1.[/tex]
At this point he has not touched sequences at all, this question is more of a sneak peak than anything else.

Orodruin said:
Sorry, I meant to write ##(1/c)^{1/n}##. How does this number behave as ##n## becomes large and how does it relate to ##c^{1/n}##?
Got it. If ##0<c<1##, then ##0<c^{\frac 1 n}<1## and ##0<1<\frac 1 c##. This means that by a), if ##n>\frac {\frac 1 c-1} \epsilon>0##, then ##\frac 1 {c^\frac 1 n}-1<\epsilon##, meaning that ##1-c^\frac 1 n<\epsilon c^\frac 1 n<\epsilon##.
Thanks for the help.

1. What is the definition of the limit of a root at infinity?

The limit of a root at infinity refers to the value that a root function approaches as its input (or independent variable) approaches positive or negative infinity. It is a way to describe the behavior of a function as its input gets larger and larger.

2. How is the limit of a root at infinity calculated?

The limit of a root at infinity is calculated by taking the limit of the root function as its input approaches infinity. This can be done by simplifying the root function and then plugging in infinity for the input. Alternatively, it can be calculated by using L'Hopital's rule.

3. What is the difference between a root at infinity and a limit at infinity?

A root at infinity refers to the value that a root function approaches as its input approaches infinity, while a limit at infinity refers to the value that a function approaches as its input approaches either positive or negative infinity. A root at infinity is a specific type of limit at infinity.

4. What are the properties of limits of roots at infinity?

The properties of limits of roots at infinity are similar to those of other types of limits. For example, the limit of a root at infinity is unique, meaning that it will always approach the same value regardless of the direction of approach. It also follows the rules of algebra, such as the limit of a sum being equal to the sum of the limits.

5. Why is the limit of a root at infinity important in mathematics and science?

The limit of a root at infinity is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions as their input gets larger and larger. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as modeling population growth or analyzing data trends. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is essential for solving more complex problems involving limits.