1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence, with parameter

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    Could you check my solution please?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find out for which values of ##\lambda>0## the sequence ##(a_n)## ,defined by
    ##a_1 = \frac{1}{2}, \quad\quad a_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2} (\lambda +a_n)^2, \quad n\in \mathbb{N^*}## converges.
    If ##(a_n)## converges, find the limit.

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I assume ##a_n## converges, I can write the limit L instead of the elements of the sequence, such that:
    ## L=\frac{1}{2} \lambda^2 + \frac{1}{2} L^2 + \lambda L ##
    and
    ## \lambda^2 + L^2 + 2\lambda L -2L=0##
    Solving the equation, I have
    ## L_1=1-\lambda + \sqrt{1-2\lambda} ; L_2=1-\lambda - \sqrt{1-2\lambda} ##
    ##\lambda## must therefore be## ≤ \frac{1}{2}##
    also, ##L_1## must equal ##L_2## due to the theorem of uniqueness of limits.
    Thus, the only possible result is ##\lambda = \frac{1}{2}##.
    And therefore ##L=\frac{1}{2}## too.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

I don't think that's right. If the sequence is to converge, then [itex]|a_n - a_{n+1}|[/itex] must tend to 0. But
    [tex]
    |a_n - a_{n+1}| = \frac12 (\lambda^2 + a_n^2) \geq \frac12 \lambda^2.
    [/tex]
    Clearly the only way for that to tend to zero is if [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex]. So if [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex], does the sequence converge?

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3
    Your condition ##\lambda^2+L^2+2\lambda L-2L=0## is only sufficient (not not necessary) for ##L## being the limit you're looking for. And so the expressions for ##L_1## and ##L_2## are also not necessary, especially not when taken together.

What you need to do is test each expression separately. Is ##L_1=1-\lambda+\sqrt{1-2\lambda}## a possible limit? Then you'd have to have ##L_1\leq a_1## since ##(a_n)## is a falling sequence. If you can show that ##L_1\leq a_1##, then that is one limit, which depends on ##\lambda##.

Then do the same for ##L_2##. Obviously, you can't have two limits, so one of these tests must fail. But the other might not...

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4
    okay! so, if ## \lambda = \frac{1}{2}, L_1=L_2## and is the limit, but if ##\lambda<\frac{1}{2}##, we have ##L_1 > a_1## which is impossible as the sequence is falling, and the only limit can be ##L_2##.
    does it work?

6. Dec 11, 2012 #5
    That's right. Actually, if you look at ##L_2## for ##\lambda<\frac12##, you'll get an expression that, if you set ##\lambda## back to ##\frac12## again, should be equal to ##\frac12## itself (if you get the right expression for ##L_2##, that is).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook