Integral Limit for f(z) when H Goes to Infinity

In summary, according to the conversation, the limit of the integral when the parameter H goes to +\infty might not be possible to say anything without knowing explicitely f(z). A possible method to find the limit would be to try classical range tests with f(z) being a constant, logarithm, or exponential function.
traianus
Hello,
Suppose to have the following integral:

[tex]\int \limits _{-H/2}^{+H/2}f(z) \frac{H-2z}{\left[\left(b - y\right)^2 + \left(H/2 - z\right)^2\right]^2}dz[/tex]

Suppose that [tex]f(z)[/tex] does NOT have a crazy behavior and that does not go to infinity anywhere and that it is continuos. I do not know a priori the expression of [tex]f(z)[/tex].

Now the question: what is the limit of the integral when the parameter [tex]H[/tex] (which appears in the limits and integrand) goes to [tex]+\infty[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, it is not possible to say anything without knowing explicitely f(z).

That is the issue I have. Let's assume the function to be odd or even or neither.

Try integrating by parts once (assuming f is differentiable).

If I integrate by parts, what do I gain? I do not see it?

You should get the derivative of f time a spike centered at H/2. Pay attention to the boundary terms as well. You can get a nice result if you assume f' is continuous and vanishes at infinity.

Last edited:
Nothing concretely can be concluded about convergence or divergence without specifying f(z) I affraid.
Suggestion however:
You might want to try some classical range tests with f(z) being constant ,logarithm and exponential funtions to get the feeling of behaviour.

Could you please StatusX post your procedure here? I have the feeling that tehno is right and f(z) must be specified. But we can also ask (this can be useful too) what are the properties of the function f(z) to NOT have infinite limit.

All I can really say is that if f' vanishes at infinity, you can show the integral you get after integrating by parts vanishes in the limit. Then you are left with the boundary terms, which should be easy, as long as f(z) asympototes to some limit as z->infinity (which, incidentally, implies the first assumption).

If I unserstood correctly, when the derivative goes to zero the we have only the boundary term; however, the boundary term goes to zero too because it has H at the denominator. So under the assumptions that StatusX made the limit is zero.

No, check the boundary term again, the H should drop out.

If f converges to a point say [tex]f_{\infty}[/tex] then the answer would be
[tex]\frac{f_{\infty}}{(b-y)^2}[/tex]

Hello balakrishnan_v, could you please post your derivation?
Thank you!

1. What is the definition of the integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity?

The integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity is a mathematical concept that represents the behavior of a function f(z) as the variable H approaches infinity. It is also known as the limit at infinity of f(z) and is denoted as lim f(z) as H → ∞.

2. How is the integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity calculated?

The integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity is calculated using the rules of limits, specifically the limit at infinity rule. This rule states that if a function f(z) can be written as a ratio of two polynomials, then the limit at infinity of f(z) is equal to the ratio of the leading coefficients of the highest degree terms in the numerator and denominator.

3. What does the integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity tell us about the behavior of the function?

The integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity provides information about the long-term behavior of the function f(z). It tells us whether the function approaches a finite value, goes to infinity, or oscillates as the variable H approaches infinity.

4. Why is the integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity important?

The integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It is used to solve problems involving infinite series, improper integrals, and differential equations. It is also used to study the convergence and divergence of functions and sequences.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity?

Yes, there are limitations to using the integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity. It can only be applied to certain types of functions, such as rational functions, and may not provide accurate results for more complex functions. It is also important to consider other factors, such as the behavior of the function at other values of H, when using the integral limit for f(z) when H goes to infinity.