What is the Limit of an Exponential Function?

In summary: When I first read it I thought the question was a joke.The question as it stands now is a very interesting one and I would like to keep the thread as it is if that's ok with you.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a difficult limit without using L'Hospital's rule. The participants use Maclaurin series expansion to transform the limit into a form that can use L'Hospital's rule. They also discuss the equivalent definitions of the exponential function and substitute variables to simplify the problem. However, the original poster (OP) requested to solve the limit without using L'Hospital's rule. The conversation ends with a request to not edit the opening post after people have answered.
goody1
Hello everyone, can anybody solve this limit? This is really tough one for me, thank you in advance.
View attachment 9653

Attachments

• limita.png
    limita.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
goody said:
Hello everyone, can anybody solve this limit without using L'Hospital's rule? This is really tough one for me, I know I'd use that x = e^lnx.

The series expansion of $\cos x = 1 - \frac 12x^2 + \ldots$.
And the expansion of $\frac 1{1-x} = 1+x+x^2+\ldots$

So:
$$\frac{\cos(x)}{\cos(2x)}
= \frac{1-\frac 12 x^2 + \ldots}{1-\frac 12 (2x)^2 + \ldots}
=\Big(1-\frac 12 x^2 + \ldots\Big)\Big(1+\frac 12 (2x)^2 - \ldots\Big)
=1+\frac 32 x^2+\ldots
$$

Consequently:
$$\lim_{x\to 0}\left(\frac{\cos(x)}{\cos(2x)}\right)^{1/x^2}
=\lim_{x\to 0}(1+\frac 32 x^2+\ldots)^{1/x^2}
=\lim_{n\to\infty} (1+\frac {3/2}n)^n
=e^{3/2}
$$

To be fair, that last step where I leave out the dots is not entirely rigorous, but we do get the result.

I understand that you used Maclaurin series expansion and then the first step behind first equal sign but may I ask how did we get another steps?
View attachment 9658

Attachments

• limita2.png
    limita2.png
    3 KB · Views: 71
goody said:
I understand that you used Maclaurin series expansion and then the first step behind first equal sign but may I ask how did we get another steps?

It's like this:
$$\Big(1-\frac 12 x^2 + \ldots\Big)\Big(1+\frac 12 (2x)^2 - \ldots\Big)\\
=1\cdot 1 -\frac 12 x^2 \cdot 1+1\cdot \frac 12 (2x)^2 - \frac 12 x^2 \cdot \frac 12 (2x)^2 + \text{ other terms with }x^4\text{ and higher order}\\
=1 + \Big(-\frac 12 + \frac 12(2^2)\Big)x^2 + \ldots \\
= 1+\frac 32 x^2 + \ldots
$$

Oh of course, I got it. And in the last step you just divided 3/2 by n because n is infinite number of terms behind dots or why is it like that? Why did you not divide 1 by n as well?

goody said:
Oh of course, I got it. And in the last step you just divided 3/2 by n because n is infinite number of terms behind dots or why is it like that? Why did you not divide 1 by n as well?

I substituted $n=\frac 1{x^2}$, which also means that $x^2=\frac 1 n$.
So we get $\Big(1 + \frac 32 x^2\Big)^{1/x^2} = \Big(1 + \frac 32 \cdot \frac 1n\Big)^n$.

Now consider the following known limit, which is one of the equivalent definitions of the exponential function:
$$\lim_{n\to\infty} \Big(1+\frac yn\Big)^n = e^y$$

Substitute $y=\frac 32$...

Thank you very much for your time and explanation. You really helped me a lot!

Re: Help with limit

goody said:
Hello everyone, can anybody solve this limit? This is really tough one for me, thank you in advance.

This is a $\displaystyle 1^{\infty} $ indeterminate form. It can be transformed into a form that can use L'Hospital's Rule by

$\displaystyle \begin{align*}
\lim_{x \to 0} \left\{ \left[ \frac{\cos{\left( x \right) }}{\cos{ \left( 2\,x \right) }} \right] ^{1/x^2} \right\} &= \lim_{x \to 0} \left( \mathrm{e}^{\ln{ \left\{ \left[ \frac{\cos{(x)}}{\cos{(2\,x)}} \right] ^{1/x^2} \right\} }}
\right) \\
&= \lim_{x \to 0} \left\{ \mathrm{e}^{\frac{1}{x^2}\ln{ \left[ \frac{\cos{(x)}}{\cos{(2\,x)}} \right] }} \right\} \\
&= \lim_{x \to 0} \left\{ \mathrm{e}^{\frac{\ln{\left[ \frac{\cos{(x)}}{\cos{(2\,x)}} \right]}}{x^2}} \right\} \\
&= \mathrm{e}^{ \lim_{x \to 0} \left\{\frac{\ln{\left[ \frac{\cos{(x)}}{\cos{(2\,x)}} \right] }}{x^2} \right\} }\end{align*} $

This limit is now a $\displaystyle \frac{0}{0} $ indeterminate form, so you can apply L'Hospital's Rule.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
It's like this:
$$\Big(1-\frac 12 x^2 + \ldots\Big)\Big(1+\frac 12 (2x)^2 - \ldots\Big)\\
=1\cdot 1 -\frac 12 x^2 \cdot 1+1\cdot \frac 12 (2x)^2 - \frac 12 x^2 \cdot \frac 12 (2x)^2 + \text{ other terms with }x^4\text{ and higher order}\\
=1 + \Big(-\frac 12 + \frac 12(2^2)\Big)x^2 + \ldots \\
= 1+\frac 32 x^2 + \ldots
$$

Still, now I'm wondering how we got this View attachment 9676.
Is it correct? Because I think it should be like that View attachment 9677 or did I miss something?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.png
    2.png
    835 bytes · Views: 68
goody said:
Still, now I'm wondering how we got this .
Is it correct? Because I think it should be like that or did I miss something?

It is correct and you are correct too.

Note that $\frac 1{1-x}=1+x+x^2+x^3+\ldots$.
Written with $y$ we have: $(1-y)^{-1}=1+y+y^2+y^3+\ldots$

Now substitute $y=\frac 12 (2x)^2 - \ldots$ and we get:

\begin{aligned}\Big(1-\frac 12 (2x)^2 + \ldots\Big)^{-1}
&=1+\Big(\frac 12 (2x)^2 - \ldots\Big) + \Big(\frac 12 (2x)^2 - \ldots\Big)^2 + \Big(\frac 12 (2x)^2 - \ldots\Big)^3 + \ldots \\
&=1 + \frac 12 (2x)^2 - \text{ higher order terms starting from }x^4
\end{aligned}

So much unneccessary analysis when L'Hospital's Rule is so concise...

Prove It said:
So much unneccessary analysis when L'Hospital's Rule is so concise...

The original OP asked explicitly to do it without L'Hospital's Rule.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
The original OP asked explicitly to do it without L'Hospital's Rule.

Oh really?

View attachment 9681

Attachments

• ohreally.jpg
    ohreally.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 64
Prove It said:
Oh really?

We can see the original OP in my quote in post #2:

View attachment 9683

Also note in your screenshot the: Last edited by goody; April 6th, 2020 at 3:09.

Ah well, I was kind of happy to see that the OP showed interest in power series expansions.
They are kind of... well... powerful.

My request to goody, please don't edit an opening post after people have answered.
Or at least not without indicating that the question was edited.

Attachments

• original_OP.jpg
    original_OP.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 64
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Ah well, I was kind of happy to see that the OP showed interest in power series expansions.
They are kind of... well... powerful.

Nobody's saying they aren't, I guess I'm just someone who believes in Occam's Razor, that the simplest and most concise solution is the best one.

What is the limit of an exponential function?

The limit of an exponential function is the value that the function approaches as the independent variable (usually denoted as x) gets closer and closer to a certain value. It is also known as the "end behavior" of the function.

How do you find the limit of an exponential function?

To find the limit of an exponential function, you can use the rules of limits, such as the limit laws and L'Hopital's rule. You can also use a graphing calculator or a table of values to estimate the limit.

What affects the limit of an exponential function?

The limit of an exponential function can be affected by the value of the base (a in the function f(x) = a^x), the value of the exponent (x), and the value that the independent variable is approaching (usually denoted as c).

Can the limit of an exponential function be infinity?

Yes, the limit of an exponential function can be infinity. This can happen when the base of the exponential function is greater than 1, and the exponent is approaching a very large positive number. In this case, the function will grow without bound as x approaches infinity.

Are there any real-life applications of limits of exponential functions?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of limits of exponential functions. For example, in finance, the concept of compound interest can be modeled using an exponential function with a limit. In physics, the rate of radioactive decay can also be modeled using an exponential function with a limit.