1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of Functions proof; help

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let E [tex]\subset \mathbb{R}[/tex] and E [tex]\neq \emptyset[/tex]. Fix p as a limit point of E. Suppose that f is bounded and realvalued on E and that [tex]\lim_{x \to p}f(x)[/tex] does not exist. Prove the fact that there exist sequences p_n and q_n in E with [tex]\lim_{n}p_n=\lim_{n}q_n=p[/tex] such that [tex]\lim_{n}f(p_n)[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{n}f(q_n)[/tex] exist, but are different.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since p is a limit point of E, we are guaranteed a sequence (p_n) in E where [tex]p_n \neq p[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{n}p_n=p[/tex]. Using the same logic I can find another sequence, call it (q_n), that converges to p.

Now I am unsure how [tex]\lim_{n}f(p_n) [/tex]and [tex]\lim_{n}f(q_n)[/tex] exist?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

f is bounded, so given a sequence of values (f(pn), you can find a convergent subsequence. Use the subsequence instead of the full sequences you originally find.

I'd be wary about the 'using the same logic' part though... let's say E is the set of all numbers of the form 1/n... if my first sequence is an = 1/n, I've screwed myself out of finding any more sequences. You need to work your way around this problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?