Limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x Approaches Infinity

• Thread starter grothem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity is infinity. This can be found by rewriting the expression as x * sqrt(1 + 1/x) - x and using limit properties to evaluate the separate limits. The significance of this limit is understanding the behavior of functions and the concept of asymptotes. It also has real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering.
grothem
lim sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity

Not sure what I need to do. I tried to make it into a fraction so I could apply L'Hospital's rule but I didnt' get anywhere with that. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]1=\frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+x}+x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+x}+x}[/tex]

Yeah like arildno suggested you need to rationalize the expression by multiplying with what post #2 suggests!

1. What is the limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity?

The limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity is infinity. As x gets larger and larger, sqrt(x^2 + x) will approach x, resulting in an infinite difference.

2. How do you find the limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity?

To find the limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity, you can use the rules of limits and algebraic manipulation. First, rewrite the expression as x * sqrt(1 + 1/x) - x. Then, use the limit properties to break up the expression into two separate limits. The limit of x as x approaches infinity is infinity, and the limit of sqrt(1 + 1/x) as x approaches infinity is 1. Therefore, the overall limit is infinity.

3. Can the limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity be negative?

No, the limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity cannot be negative. As x approaches infinity, the expression will always result in a positive value, approaching infinity as well.

4. What is the significance of the limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity?

The limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity is significant in understanding the behavior of functions as x gets infinitely large. It also demonstrates the concept of asymptotes, where the function approaches but never reaches a certain value (in this case, infinity).

5. How does the limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity relate to real-world situations?

The limit of sqrt(x^2 + x) - x as x approaches infinity can be applied in various fields such as physics and engineering. It can represent the maximum height or distance that an object can reach before it falls back to the ground due to gravity. It can also be used to model the decay of radioactive substances or the growth of populations. In general, it helps in analyzing and predicting the behavior of systems as they approach infinity.