A limit as t-->0 of log(t) / SQRT(t)

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: From what I know, infinity multiplication (with any real number or infinity) is not an indeterminate form.
Mr Davis 97
I am trying to find the following limit ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^{+}} \frac{\log (t)}{\sqrt{t}}##, however, I don't see how. Obviously the answer is negative infinity, but I don't see how to get that. L'hospital's rule doesn't seem to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use an epsilon-delta* argument, and take care with signs.

* Actually, where the limit is infinite, its an M-delta argument for big M.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Why would you use l'Hôpital? The numerator goes to minus infinity and the denominator to zero ...

andrewkirk said:
Use an epsilon-delta* argument, and take care with signs.

* Actually, where the limit is infinite, its an M-delta argument for big M.
Just to be clear, would that be the only way?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Just to be clear, would that be the only way?
Ultimately, any way is based on the definition as proofs of all theorems regarding limits must be based on the definition of a limit. In your case thoguh, you have a product of a function whose limit is infinity and another whose limit is minus infinity.

Orodruin said:
Ultimately, any way is based on the definition as proofs of all theorems regarding limits must be based on the definition of a limit. In your case thoguh, you have a product of a function whose limit is infinity and another whose limit is minus infinity.
Can we rigorously say that infinity times negative infinity is negative infinity?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Can we rigorously say that infinity times negative infinity is negative infinity?
Of course not, infinity is not a real number.

However you can rigorously prove: Let ##f(x)## diverge to infinity and ##g(x)## diverge to negative infinity as ##x \to \infty##. Then ##(fg)(x)## diverges to negative infinity.
If you have done epsilon proofs, then you should be able to do this.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
I don't see why not, you can write -∞ as a product of ∞ and -1 so you get -(∞2)=-∞

phasacs said:
I don't see why not, you can write -∞ as a product of ∞ and -1 so you get -(∞2)=-∞

##\infty = \infty + 1 \iff \infty - \infty = 1 \iff 0 = 1##

Now ?

Buffu said:
##\infty = \infty + 1 \iff \infty - \infty = 1 \iff 0 = 1##
Now ?
@Buffu, your example is unrelated to what @phasacs said, which by the way has an error.
If ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x) = -\infty## and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = -1##, then ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) g(x) = -\infty##. It wouldn't take much to prove this rigorously.

Last edited:
Mr Davis 97 said:
L'hospital's rule doesn't seem to work.
It doesn't apply in this problem.
L'Hopital's Rule is applicable for limits of the form ##\frac 0 0## or the form ##\frac{\pm \infty}\infty##.

Wouldn't the proof be the following:
$$\lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{\log (t)}{\sqrt{t}} = \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \log (t)\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}= \left( \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \log (t)\right) \left(\lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}\right) = (-\infty)(\infty) = -\infty$$

Mark44 said:
@Buffu, your example is unrelated to what @phasacs said, which by the way has an error.
If ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x) = -\infty## and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = -1##, then ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) g(x) = -\infty##. It wouldn't take much to prove this rigorously.

My example was to suggest that playing with infinity like a real number is not valid. Isn't that his error ?

jack action said:
Wouldn't the proof be the following:
$$\lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{\log (t)}{\sqrt{t}} = \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \log (t)\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}= \left( \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \log (t)\right) \left(\lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}\right) = (-\infty)(\infty) = -\infty$$

I think somebody might argue with your proof as to how you know that "-ve infinity" times "+ve infinity" is "-ve infinity" ?

Mr Davis 97 said:

Buffu said:
My example was to suggest that playing with infinity like a real number is not valid. Isn't that his error ?
No, it isn't, although I don't know who you're referring to with "his error."
If ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \infty## and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = \infty##, then it's fairly easy to rigorously show that
1. ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) \cdot (\pm g(x)) = \pm \infty##, and
2. ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) + g(x) = \infty##.
The limits you can't show are the ones that are indeterminate: ##\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## and ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) - g(x)##.

Buffu said:
I think somebody might argue with your proof as to how you know that "-ve infinity" times "+ve infinity" is "-ve infinity" ?
If I replace ##\infty## with a large number, then ##-\infty \times \infty## will get me a very large negative number (even if both ##\infty## are different values).

From what I know, infinity multiplication (with any real number or infinity) is not an indeterminate form. If you can find some reference stating otherwise, I would be glad to learn something new.

Likes Buffu
jack action said:
If I replace ##\infty## with a large number, then ##-\infty \times \infty## will get me a very large negative number (even if both ##\infty## are different values).

From what I know, infinity multiplication (with any real number or infinity) is not an indeterminate form. If you can find some reference stating otherwise, I would be glad to learn something new.
:sorry::sorry:. You are correct. :smile::smile:

1. What is the value of the limit as t approaches 0 for the function log(t) / SQRT(t)?

The limit as t approaches 0 for the function log(t) / SQRT(t) is equal to 0.

2. How do you solve for the limit as t approaches 0 for log(t) / SQRT(t)?

To solve for the limit, we can use L'Hopital's rule or manipulate the function algebraically to simplify it. In this case, we can rewrite the function as log(t) * t^(-1/2) and then use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit.

3. Can the limit as t approaches 0 for log(t) / SQRT(t) be evaluated directly?

No, the limit cannot be evaluated directly because it results in an indeterminate form of 0/0.

4. What is the significance of finding the limit as t approaches 0 for log(t) / SQRT(t)?

Finding the limit helps us understand the behavior of the function as t approaches 0. It can also be used to evaluate the continuity and differentiability of the function at t = 0.

5. Are there any real-life applications for the limit as t approaches 0 for log(t) / SQRT(t)?

Yes, this limit can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.