Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A limit as t-->0 of log(t) / SQRT(t)

1. May 6, 2017 #1
    I am trying to find the following limit ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^{+}} \frac{\log (t)}{\sqrt{t}}##, however, I don't see how. Obviously the answer is negative infinity, but I don't see how to get that. L'hospital's rule doesn't seem to work.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use an epsilon-delta* argument, and take care with signs.

* Actually, where the limit is infinite, its an M-delta argument for big M.

4. May 6, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would you use l'Hôpital? The numerator goes to minus infinity and the denominator to zero ...

5. May 6, 2017 #4
    Just to be clear, would that be the only way?

6. May 6, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ultimately, any way is based on the definition as proofs of all theorems regarding limits must be based on the definition of a limit. In your case thoguh, you have a product of a function whose limit is infinity and another whose limit is minus infinity.

7. May 6, 2017 #6
    Can we rigorously say that infinity times negative infinity is negative infinity?

8. May 6, 2017 #7

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Of course not, infinity is not a real number.

However you can rigorously prove: Let ##f(x)## diverge to infinity and ##g(x)## diverge to negative infinity as ##x \to \infty##. Then ##(fg)(x)## diverges to negative infinity.
    If you have done epsilon proofs, then you should be able to do this.

9. May 25, 2017 #8
    I don't see why not, you can write -∞ as a product of ∞ and -1 so you get -(∞2)=-∞

10. May 25, 2017 #9
    ##\infty = \infty + 1 \iff \infty - \infty = 1 \iff 0 = 1##

Now ?

11. May 25, 2017 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@Buffu, your example is unrelated to what @phasacs said, which by the way has an error.
    If ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x) = -\infty## and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = -1##, then ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) g(x) = -\infty##. It wouldn't take much to prove this rigorously.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  12. May 25, 2017 #11

Mark44

It doesn't apply in this problem.
    L'Hopital's Rule is applicable for limits of the form ##\frac 0 0## or the form ##\frac{\pm \infty}\infty##.

13. May 25, 2017 #12

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't the proof be the following:
    $$\lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{\log (t)}{\sqrt{t}} = \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \log (t)\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}= \left( \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \log (t)\right) \left(\lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}\right) = (-\infty)(\infty) = -\infty$$

14. May 25, 2017 #13
    My example was to suggest that playing with infinity like a real number is not valid. Isn't that his error ?

15. May 25, 2017 #14
    I think somebody might argue with your proof as to how you know that "-ve infinity" times "+ve infinity" is "-ve infinity" ?

16. May 25, 2017 #15

Mark44

No, it isn't, although I don't know who you're referring to with "his error."
    If ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \infty## and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = \infty##, then it's fairly easy to rigorously show that
    1. ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) \cdot (\pm g(x)) = \pm \infty##, and
    2. ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) + g(x) = \infty##.
    The limits you can't show are the ones that are indeterminate: ##\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## and ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) - g(x)##.

17. May 25, 2017 #16

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I replace ##\infty## with a large number, then ##-\infty \times \infty## will get me a very large negative number (even if both ##\infty## are different values).

From what I know, infinity multiplication (with any real number or infinity) is not an indeterminate form. If you can find some reference stating otherwise, I would be glad to learn something new.

18. May 25, 2017 #17

Mark44

Right.

19. May 25, 2017 #18
    :sorry::sorry:. You are correct. :smile::smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted