How Do You Resolve a Division by Zero in Limit Calculations?

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Zero
In summary, the student attempted to find the limit of a function, but realized that division by zero could not be avoided and found a different way to approach the problem. They arrived at the same answer as if they used L'Hospital's Rule.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{1}{t}-\frac{1}{t^2+t}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Limit Laws, et al.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't feel this would work, too much division by zero, so I found a common den.

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{t^2+t}{t(t^2+t)}-\frac{t}{t(t^2+t)}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{t^2+t-t}{t(t^2+t)}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{t^2}{t^3+t^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{t^2}{t^2(t+1)}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{1}{t+1} = \frac{1}{1}[/tex]

Edit:
I figured it out now, does it appear correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You *can* use http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LHospitalsRule.html"

=lim(t->0) t2/t3+t2

=lim(t->0) 2t/3t2+2t

=lim(t->0) 2/3t+2

=2/2

=1 (since 3t -> 0)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I arrived at 1 without the rule? We have not covered L'Hospital so I know I should be able to complete it without. Have I made a mistake?

JNBirDy said:
You need to use http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LHospitalsRule.html"

=lim(t->0) t2/t3+t2

=lim(t->0) 2t/3t2+2t

=lim(t->0) 2/3t+2

=2/2

=1 (since 3t -> 0)

You don't NEED to use l'Hopital. Reducing the problem using algebra to the determinate form 1/(t+1) does the job as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
QuarkCharmer said:
Well, I arrived at 1 without the rule? We have not covered L'Hospital so I know I should be able to complete it without. Have I made a mistake?

The way you did it seems to work as well. L'Hospital's Rule is still nifty to know since it will let you check your work.

Dick said:
You don't NEED to use l'Hopital. Reducing the problem using algebra to the determinate form 1/(t+1) does the job as well.

Yeah I was thinking of editing out the word 'need' after I replied but was too lazy. :)

Thanks guys.

1/t - 1/t^2+t
add and substract t in d numerator of -1/t^2+t

QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Limit Laws, et al.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't feel this would work, too much division by zero, so I found a common den.

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{t^2+t}{t(t^2+t)}-\frac{t}{t(t^2+t)}[/tex]
Better is the least common denominator- t^2+ 1= t(t+ 1) so t(t+ 1) is itself a common denominator.

(t+1)/(t(t+1))- \frac{1}{t(t+1)}= t/(t(t+1))= 1/(t+ 1).

Now take the limit.

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{t^2+t-t}{t(t^2+t)}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{t^2}{t^3+t^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{t^2}{t^2(t+1)}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{t\to0}\frac{1}{t+1} = \frac{1}{1}[/tex]

Edit:
I figured it out now, does it appear correct?

JNBirDy said:
The way you did it seems to work as well. L'Hospital's Rule is still nifty to know since it will let you check your work.
But since QuarkCharmer hasn't learned this rule yet, it's not an option in this problem. Also, there are limits for which L'Hopital's Rule can be used, but it doesn't lead to finding the limit. For problems such as these, being able to simplify using algebra is the way to go.
JNBirDy said:
Yeah I was thinking of editing out the word 'need' after I replied but was too lazy. :)

Why not just write:
[tex]
\frac{1}{t}-\frac{1}{t^{2}+t}=\frac{1}{t}\left( 1-\frac{1}{t+1}\right) =\frac{1}{t}\cdot\frac{t}{t+1}=\frac{1}{t+1}
[/tex]

By the way

1) You don't divide by 0. The fact that attempting to set t= 0 in this fraction gives a 0 in the denominator means you can't find the limit that way.

2) While it isn't necessary to say it every time, you should keep in mind that
[tex]\frac{t}{t(t+1)}= \frac{1}{t+1}[/tex]
is only true for [itex]t\ne 1[/itex]. Fortunately, if f(x)= g(x) for all x except a, lim_{x->a} f(x)= lim_{x\to a} g(x) so we don't need to worry about that.

FAQ: How Do You Resolve a Division by Zero in Limit Calculations?

1. What is a limit problem involving division by zero?

A limit problem involving division by zero occurs when the denominator of a fraction approaches zero, resulting in an undefined value.

2. Why is division by zero not allowed?

Division by zero is not allowed because it leads to mathematical inconsistencies and contradictions. It also violates the fundamental rule of division which states that any number divided by zero is undefined.

3. Can a limit problem involving division by zero be solved?

A limit problem involving division by zero cannot be solved in the traditional sense as it leads to an undefined value. Instead, it can be approached using alternative methods such as L'Hôpital's rule or by taking the limit of the numerator and denominator separately.

4. What is the difference between a limit problem involving division by zero and a limit problem with a finite value?

The main difference between the two is that a limit problem involving division by zero will result in an undefined value, while a limit problem with a finite value will have a numerical solution. Additionally, a limit problem involving division by zero may require alternative methods to solve, while a limit problem with a finite value can often be solved using algebraic manipulation.

5. How can understanding limit problems involving division by zero be useful?

Understanding limit problems involving division by zero can be useful in many areas of mathematics and science, as it can help identify and avoid potential mathematical errors. It can also be helpful in finding the maximum or minimum values of functions, as well as in the study of limits and continuity of functions.