1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit Problem

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    lim (x-1) / (x^2)(x+2) as x approach to 0

Is the answer equal to zero??

No matter what mathod I use ,the answer I got are all the same.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the numerator tends to -1 the denominator to zero, doesn't that tell you something? It seems quite simple so perhaps you copied the question down wrongly
  4. Nov 23, 2005 #3
    This is the right question. Nothing is wrong with it.
  5. Nov 23, 2005 #4
    Is the answer does not exist?
  6. Nov 23, 2005 #5
    do you know L'Hopital's rule that is
    [tex] \lim_{g(x) \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{g(x) \rightarrow 0} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)} [/tex]
    if you use that here you should get zero
    also mathematica gives me zero for the answer as well
  7. Nov 23, 2005 #6
    Sorry, I don`t know about L'Hopital's rule.
  8. Nov 23, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

L'Hopital's rule says that if g and f both have limit 0 as a goes to a, then
    [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \frac{lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)}{lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)}[/tex]
    Since, in this problem, the limit of the numerator, [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0}x-1[/itex] is -1, not 0, LHopital's rule does not apply.
    As x approaches 0, the numerator stays around -1 while the denominator goes to 0: the fraction goes toward [itex]-\infty[/itex].
    Some people would say "the limit does not exist". Others would say the limit is [itex]-\infty[/itex] which is just a way of saying the limit does not exist in a particular way.
  9. Nov 23, 2005 #8
    Thanks everyone.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?