Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Limit Problem

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    lim (x-1) / (x^2)(x+2) as x approach to 0

Is the answer equal to zero??

No matter what mathod I use ,the answer I got are all the same.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the numerator tends to -1 the denominator to zero, doesn't that tell you something? It seems quite simple so perhaps you copied the question down wrongly

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3
    This is the right question. Nothing is wrong with it.

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4
    Is the answer does not exist?

6. Nov 23, 2005 #5
    do you know L'Hopital's rule that is
    [tex] \lim_{g(x) \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{g(x) \rightarrow 0} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)} [/tex]
    if you use that here you should get zero
    also mathematica gives me zero for the answer as well

7. Nov 23, 2005 #6
    Sorry, I don`t know about L'Hopital's rule.

8. Nov 23, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

L'Hopital's rule says that if g and f both have limit 0 as a goes to a, then
    [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \frac{lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)}{lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)}[/tex]
    Since, in this problem, the limit of the numerator, [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0}x-1[/itex] is -1, not 0, LHopital's rule does not apply.
    As x approaches 0, the numerator stays around -1 while the denominator goes to 0: the fraction goes toward [itex]-\infty[/itex].
    Some people would say "the limit does not exist". Others would say the limit is [itex]-\infty[/itex] which is just a way of saying the limit does not exist in a particular way.

9. Nov 23, 2005 #8
    Thanks everyone.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook