1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit proof problem as x goes to infinity

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove that ##\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{\sqrt{x+1}}{x} = 0## where ##x>0##

2. Relevant equations

Definition: Let ##A\subseteq\mathbb{R}## and let ##f:A\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##. Suppose that ##(a,\infty)\subseteq A## for some ##a\in\mathbb{R}##. We say that ##L\in\mathbb{R}## is the limit of ##f## as ##x\rightarrow\infty## and write ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f=L## if any given ##\epsilon>0## there exists a ##K=K(\epsilon)>a## such that for any ##x>K## then ##|f(x)-L|<\epsilon##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't seem to connect this definition to the problem because the part that is confusing is connecting ##a## to ##\epsilon##. What I have so far is Suppose that ##(1,\infty)\subseteq A## where ##a=1##. Let ##\epsilon >0## then there exists a ##K\in\mathbb{N}## such that if ##x>K## then... Let's just say im completely stuck.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi bonfire09! :smile:
    you hae to prove that if x > a, then (√(x+1))/x < ε :wink:

4. Nov 11, 2013 #3
    Yeah but what do I let ##\epsilon## equal to? Do I let it be equal to ##a##? Thats the part im having trouble with. yes if ##x>a## then I can't really show ##\frac{\sqrt{x+1}}{x}<\epsilon##.

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ahh! …

no, a is a function of ε :wink:

(in these problems, it's usually something like 1/ε or 1/√ε or 1/ε2)

6. Nov 11, 2013 #5
    Well it looks similar to the normal epsilon proofs for limits of sequences. Here is what I have for scratchwork. We want ##|f(x)-0|<\epsilon \implies |\frac{\sqrt{x+1}}{x}|=\frac{\sqrt{x+1}}{x}\leq \sqrt{x+1}\leq x+1 <\epsilon## for ##x>0##. But then i am not sure what I should set my epsilon too?

Do I got about this way then? Let ##\epsilon>1\implies \epsilon-1>0## and let ##a=\epsilon-1## and there exists a ##k>\epsilon-1## such that if ##x>k##.... Would that be the way I should do it? THough I am not sure if that epsilon will work.

7. Nov 12, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, ε has to be very close to 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted