1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit question / algebra problem

1. Mar 18, 2006 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I forgot how to do the algebra in this one.

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    f(x) = \frac{{ - 1}}{x};\,\,a = 1 \\
    \\
    f'(a) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{f(a + h) - f(a)}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\frac{{ - 1}}{{a + h}} - \frac{{ - 1}}{a}}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\frac{{ - 1a}}{{a(a + h)}} - \frac{{ - 1(a + h)}}{{a(a + h)}}}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\left( {\frac{{ - a - a + h}}{{a(a + h)}}} \right)}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\left( {\frac{{ - 2a + h}}{{a^2 + ah}}} \right)}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{ - 2a + h}}{{a^2 + ah}}\,\,\frac{1}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{ - 2a + h}}{{h\left( {a^2 + ah} \right)}} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Am I even going in the right direction? If so, what comes next?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2006 #2
    You screwed up adding the fractions. -(-1) = 1.

4. Mar 18, 2006 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a bit nicer. Thanks d leet
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\frac{{ - 1}}{{a + h}} - \frac{{ - 1}}{a}}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\frac{{ - 1a}}{{a(a + h)}} - \frac{{ - 1(a + h)}}{{a(a + h)}}}}{a} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\left( {\frac{{ - a - \left( { - a - h} \right)}}{{a(a + h)}}} \right)}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\left( {\frac{{ - a + a + h}}{{a(a + h)}}} \right)}}{h} \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\left( {\frac{{ - a + a + h}}{{a(a + h)}}} \right)}}{h} \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\left( {\frac{h}{{a^2 + ah}}} \right)}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{h}{{a^2 + ah}}\,\,\frac{1}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{h}{{h\left( {a^2 + ah} \right)}} = \\
    \\
    f'(a) = \frac{1}{{a^2 }} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    Now I can't find my TEX error, but I get the right answer: 1/a^2

5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \\
    \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\frac{{ - 1a}}{{a(a + h)}} - \frac{{ - 1(a + h)}}{{a(a + h)}}}}{a} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\left( {\frac{{ - a - \left( { - a - h} \right)}}{{a(a + h)}}} \right)}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{{\left( {\frac{h}{{a^2 + ah}}} \right)}}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{h}{{a^2 + ah}}\,\,\frac{1}{h} = \\
    \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{h \to 0} \frac{h}{{h\left( {a^2 + ah} \right)}} = \\
    \\
    f'(a) = \frac{1}{{a^2 }} \\
    \end{array}[/tex]
    I think you should split it up a bit, it seems to work if you split it into 2 LaTeX images. However, IMHO, you are using way too many brackets of the type {...}. It should be clearer if you you less of them. Say, instead of typing \frac{{-1}}{a}, just type:
    \frac{-1}{a}, which also displays the correct image, but the code does look nicer, right?
    [tex]\frac{-1}{a}[/tex]
    Don't complicate things... :)

6. Mar 18, 2006 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, VietDao. I was having some trouble with the forum. Clicking on my code wouldn't open it so I couldn't edit it.

Actually, I didn't hand-code this TEX. I use Math-type, which translates it into tex for me. In a sense it's like using MS Word to write a simple web page. Hand-coding HTML is short and to the point, and the code looks nice. But the Word version, even in the simplest example is mind-numbingly complex.

I'm better with Math-type than tex, and Math-type lets you see what you're typing, i.e., WYSIWYG. So for the longer problems I use Math-type and have it translate.

Thanks for fixing it for me. It was frusterating me more than dumb mistake than d leet pointed out to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?