Limit to Infinity: Is $$\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1} - x = 1?$$

In summary, the limit to infinity refers to the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches infinity, and can be found by evaluating the function at larger and larger values or using mathematical techniques. Its purpose is to understand the behavior of a function at extremely large values, and its existence can be determined by the behavior of the function. To solve for the limit to infinity in a specific equation, algebraic manipulation can be used to simplify the expression and find the limit.
tmt1
I have in my notes that $$\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1} - x = 1$$

Is this right? When I calculate it, I get 0, because the square root of infinity is infinity and then I subtract infinity which is 0.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't legitimately subtract infinities...but what you can do is rewrite the radicand as a square...then the desired result is forthcoming. :D

Related to Limit to Infinity: Is $$\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1} - x = 1?$$

1. What does the limit to infinity mean?

The limit to infinity refers to the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches infinity. It is a way to describe the end behavior of a function and determine its ultimate value.

2. How do you find the limit to infinity?

To find the limit to infinity, you can evaluate the function at larger and larger values of the input variable. If the function approaches a specific value as the input variable gets larger and larger, then that value is the limit to infinity. Alternatively, you can use mathematical techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or algebraic manipulation to find the limit.

3. What is the purpose of finding the limit to infinity?

The purpose of finding the limit to infinity is to understand the behavior of a function at extremely large values. This can help in making predictions and decisions in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. How do you determine if the limit to infinity exists?

If the function approaches a specific value as the input variable gets larger and larger, then the limit to infinity exists and that value is the limit. However, if the function does not approach a specific value or approaches different values depending on the direction of the input variable, then the limit to infinity does not exist.

5. How do you solve for the limit to infinity in this specific equation: $$\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \sqrt{x^2 + 2x + 1} - x = 1$$

To solve for the limit to infinity in this equation, you can use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression. In this case, you can factor out an x from the square root and then cancel it out with the x outside the square root. This leaves you with the limit of the square root of 1, which is equal to 1. Therefore, the limit to infinity of this equation is 1.