Limit with trigonometric and polynomial function.

In summary, for the given limit, the value is 1. This is found by using the sandwich theorem and arithmetic rules to break down the expression into smaller parts and proving that the limit of each part is 1 and 0, respectively. Wolfram may have exceeded time on the original expression, but by breaking it down, the limit can be evaluated.
FaroukYasser

Homework Statement

For $$\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { { x }^{ 2 }+{ e }^{ -{ x }^{ 2 }\sin ^{ 2 }{ x } } }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } } $$, determine whether it exists. If it does, find its value. if it doesn't, explain.

Homework Equations

Sand witch theorem and arithmetic rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I reached that the limit is 1 using the following:

$$\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { { x }^{ 2 }+{ e }^{ -{ x }^{ 2 }\sin ^{ 2 }{ x } } }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } } =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { { x }^{ 2 } }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } +\frac { 1 }{ { e }^{ { x }^{ 2 }\sin ^{ 2 }{ x } }\sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } } \\ \frac { 1 }{ { e }^{ x } } <\frac { 1 }{ { e }^{ { x }^{ 2 } }\sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } <\frac { 1 }{ { e }^{ { x }^{ 2 }\sin ^{ 2 }{ x } }\sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } <\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } \\ \\ \lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ { e }^{ x } } } =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } } =0$$
Therefore by the sandwich theorem:
$$\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ { e }^{ { x }^{ 2 }\sin ^{ 2 }{ x } }\sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } } =0$$

Also,

$$\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { { x }^{ 2 } }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } } =1$$

Hence:
$$\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \frac { { x }^{ 2 }+{ e }^{ -{ x }^{ 2 }\sin ^{ 2 }{ x } } }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 4 }+1 } } } =1+0=1$$

I tried to put the limit into wolfram but it gave me a time limit exceeded. Is there a reason for this? Does the limit really not exist? And is there anything wrong in my argument?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're doing just fine. which of the two did wolfie suffocate on ?

BvU said:
I think you're doing just fine. which of the two did wolfie suffocate on ?
Wolfram exceeded time on the original expression without breaking it down. (Although I have no idea why it did)

And thanks for answering :)

So you break it down and feed wolfie smaller bites !

Likes FaroukYasser

Related to Limit with trigonometric and polynomial function.

1. What is the definition of a limit with a trigonometric function?

A limit with a trigonometric function refers to the value that a function approaches as the input variable approaches a certain value, typically denoted as "x". It is a fundamental concept in calculus that allows us to understand the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How do I find the limit of a polynomial function?

To find the limit of a polynomial function, you can use the direct substitution method. This involves plugging in the value that the input variable is approaching into the function and simplifying the expression. If the resulting expression is undefined, then you can try using other methods such as factoring, synthetic division, or L'Hopital's rule.

3. Can a limit of a trigonometric function have multiple values?

No, a limit of a trigonometric function can only have one value. This is because a limit represents the value that the function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. Therefore, there can only be one unique value that the function approaches.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches a certain value from one direction, either the left or the right. On the other hand, a two-sided limit considers the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches from both the left and the right. This can be important for understanding the continuity of a function.

5. How can I use limits to determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if its limit at a given point is equal to the value of the function at that point. Therefore, if you can use limits to evaluate the function at a specific point and the limit and function value are equal, then the function is continuous at that point. However, if the limit and function value are not equal, then the function is not continuous at that point.