How Can I Understand Limits and Continuity in Calculus?

In summary: That will give you an equation to solve for c. Once you have c, use that to find f(2). That will be the value of the function at x= 2 that makes it continuous. I don't understand what "little dot randomly appearing over the break" has to do with anything. If the function is a "random function with squiggly lines" its graph will have "several breaks". You need to specify exactly what function you are talking about.
Chenelle
I am reading through calc1 and reviewing Limits and Continuity/Discontinuity, I have so many questions!

There is a theorem here, it says if F and G are continuous at A and C is a constant, then the following are continues at a: F+G, F-G, CF, FG, F/G (G!=0)
however the explanation I read for this makes no sense to me! (F+G)(A)

Another question I have, for continuous functions, say I am given a piecewise function:
cx^2+2x if x<2
x^3 - cx if x>= 2
I am suppose to find what makes this function continuous everywhere. I went back to read my book to find an example of this to break it down to the most simplest steps but could not find anything T.T (Squeezes teacher, I must solve). How do I start to even begin this problem?

I was looking at a graph, it was just a random function with squiggly lines. Several breaks in the function was no problem, I noticed that as my eye went from left to right, in one spot the line broke, a dot appeared over it, and then the line started in the same direction from a different starting point. Since the little dot randomly appeared over the break, does that mean that the point at which the line broke was moved? or is it a whole different function?

O_O ahh brain burnz, I like cheese.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first question is too broad. It looks like you need to understand what continuity means.

For the second question:
At x=2, the x<2 expression is 4c+4, while the x>2 expression is 8-2c. For continuity, you need to find the value of c where they are equal:
4c+4=8-2c.

Chenelle said:
There is a theorem here, it says if F and G are continuous at A and C is a constant, then the following are continues at a: F+G, F-G, CF, FG, F/G (G!=0)

All of these statements are direct consequences of the corresponding basic limit theorems, since continuity is defined by the existence of a limit equal to the value of the function at a point. Review your chapter on limits.

Chenelle said:
I am reading through calc1 and reviewing Limits and Continuity/Discontinuity, I have so many questions!

What was the explanation then? The only proof I've ever seen is:

To prove that F+ G is constant at x= A, look at
[tex]\lim_{x\to A} F(x)+ G(x)[/tex]
by the basic limit theorem for sums, that is
[tex]\lim_{x\to A}F(x)+ \lim_{x\to A}G(x)[/tex]
and, since F is continuous at A,
[tex]\lim_{x\to A}F(x)= F(A)[/tex]
(that is the definition of "continuous at x= A")
and, since G is continuous at A,
[tex]\lim_{x\to A}G(x)= G(A)[/tex]
so that
[tex]\lim_{x\to A}F(x)+ G(x)= F(A)+ G(A)[/tex]
proving that F+ G is continuous at x= A.
What does not make sense about that?

Another question I have, for continuous functions, say I am given a piecewise function:
cx^2+2x if x<2
x^3 - cx if x>= 2
I am suppose to find what makes this function continuous everywhere. I went back to read my book to find an example of this to break it down to the most simplest steps but could not find anything T.T (Squeezes teacher, I must solve). How do I start to even begin this problem?

I was looking at a graph, it was just a random function with squiggly lines. Several breaks in the function was no problem, I noticed that as my eye went from left to right, in one spot the line broke, a dot appeared over it, and then the line started in the same direction from a different starting point. Since the little dot randomly appeared over the break, does that mean that the point at which the line broke was moved? or is it a whole different function?

O_O ahh brain burnz, I like cheese.
For x< 2 f(x)= [itex]cx^2+ 2x[/itex] so
[tex]\lim_{x\to 2^-} f(x)= \lim_{x\to 2^-} cx^2+ 2x= 4c+ 4[/itex]
because [itex]cx^2+ 2x[/itex] is a polynomial and so always continuous.

For x> 2, f(x)= [itex]x^3- cx[/itex] so
[tex]\lim_{x\to 2^+} f(x)= \lim_{x\to 2^+} x^2- cx= 8- 2c[/itex]
again because [itex]x^3- cx[/itex] is a polynomial.

In order to be continuous at x= 2 we must first have that f(x) has a limit at x= 2 which means that those two one-sided limits must be the same: [itex]4c+4= 8- 2c[/itex].

Solve that equation for c. We must also have that the limit is equal to the value of the function there so, whatever you get for c, set f(2) equal to the common value of 4c+4 and 8- 2c.

What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a is the value that f(x) gets closer and closer to as x gets closer and closer to a, but may not necessarily equal to at a.

How do you find the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be found by evaluating the function at values of x that are closer and closer to the given value of a. If the values of f(x) approach a specific number as x gets closer to a, then that number is the limit of the function at a.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite limit?

A finite limit is a value that a function approaches as x gets closer to a, and it is a specific number. An infinite limit occurs when a function approaches positive or negative infinity as x gets closer to a.

When does a limit not exist?

A limit does not exist if the function does not approach a specific value as x gets closer to a. This can occur if the function has a vertical asymptote or if the function oscillates between two values as x approaches a.

What is continuity?

Continuity means that a function is defined at a specific value and that the limit of the function at that value is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, there are no breaks or jumps in the graph of the function at that point.