Limits dealing with indeterminate forms

The expression \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x \right) - \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x \right) is undefined, and cannot be manipulated into \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x - x \right) or any other meaningful expression. This is because the limit of a function is not just a number, but a concept that represents the behavior of the function as its input approaches a certain value. The limit of x as x approaches infinity is infinity, which is not a number that can be used in arithmetic operations, like subtraction. Therefore, the expression \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty}
dwaonng
Suppose you have one limit

[tex]
lim_{x\rightarrow \ 0}(cos(x)/x) = \infty
[/tex]

and a second limit

[tex]
lim_{x\rightarrow \ \infty}(x) = \infty
[/tex]

What is the first limit subtracted by the second? Is it simply indeterminate because its inf - inf?

One friend suggested I assume x=cos(y)/y for the second limit then change the second limit to look as follows:

[tex]
lim_{x\rightarrow \ \infty}(x) =? lim_{y\rightarrow \ 0}(cos(y)/y)
[/tex]

Then can I say:
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow \ 0}(cos(x)/x) - lim_{y\rightarrow \ 0}(cos(y)/y) =? 0 [/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwaonng said:
What is the first limit subtracted by the second? Is it simply indeterminate because its inf - inf?
I assume you are specifically asking for the difference in the values of the two limits? That difference is undefined. In particular, writing an expression denoting their difference is grammatically incorrect.

If you were trying to solve a problem and arrived at this expression, you (probably) have encountered an indeterminate form. If the problem is simply about this difference, then the answer is that the difference is undefined.

Just to make sure my point is clear, even this expression:

[tex]\left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x \right) - \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x \right)[/tex]

is undefined; the difference does not exist, and it would be incorrect to assert this difference is zero.

So you are saying that I can't manipulate the following:[tex]\left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x \right) - \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x \right)[/tex]

into say...

[tex]\left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x - x \right)[/tex] ?

is that correct?

dwaonng said:
So you are saying that I can't manipulate the following:

[tex]\left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x \right) - \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x \right)[/tex]

into say...

[tex]\left( \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} x - x \right)[/tex] ?

is that correct?
Correct.

What are indeterminate forms in limits?

Indeterminate forms are mathematical expressions that cannot be evaluated directly because they result in an undefined value. They are typically encountered when taking the limit of a function or expression.

What are the most common indeterminate forms?

The most common indeterminate forms are 0/0, ∞/∞, 0*∞, ∞-∞, and 1^∞. These forms arise when the numerator and denominator of a fraction or the terms of an expression approach 0 or infinity in a limit expression.

How do you evaluate limits with indeterminate forms?

To evaluate limits with indeterminate forms, you can use algebraic manipulation, L'Hopital's rule, or limit theorems such as the Squeeze Theorem. These methods allow you to simplify the expression and determine the limit value.

Can indeterminate forms be solved without using calculus?

Yes, some indeterminate forms can be solved without using calculus. For example, limits involving rational functions can often be evaluated by factoring and simplifying the expression. However, for more complex indeterminate forms, calculus techniques are typically necessary.

Why are indeterminate forms important?

Indeterminate forms are important because they allow us to evaluate limits that would otherwise be impossible to determine. They also help us understand the behavior of a function near a point and make predictions about its behavior at that point.