Is There a Macro Version of the Planck Length?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of there being a limit to how large an object can be before it fails to make physical sense. The Planck length is mentioned as a limit for small objects, and there is speculation about whether there is a similar limit for large objects. Some argue that the universe is infinite, while others propose that there may be a maximum size for objects based on their density. The concept of infinity in nature and the behavior of black holes are also discussed. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no definitive answer and further research and understanding is needed.
Cody Richeson
Hopefully this is in the right sub-forum. Anyway, we all know the Planck length placed a limit on how small something can be and still make physical sense. Is there a macro version of this? Is it possible that the universe/multiverse, or some other macro object, can only be so big before it fails to make physical sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the main contenders for the size of the universe is that it it infinite and I don't think any of the credible arguments against it are that that doesn't make sense.

If two points are far enough apart that they are both causally disconnected from a 3'rd point half way between them, then I can't think of any sense in which they could be part of the same object.

Be careful. The plank length is to certain extant a bit arbitrary and we don't really know what happens at that length. It is possible that even smaller scales make sense but have to be dealt with by some physical theories we haven't developed yet.

My vote's on no since that suggests at larger sizes we have a set definition for what an "object" is

Infinities supposedly don't occur in nature, though, if I'm not mistaken, though they may occur in black holes. Is it possible a macro sized object could only be so big due to the energy in that space being finite?

well infinities indeed tend not to exist , and the places where we think they are are rather because either we have a lack of knowledge about them as of yet or because or theories are not perfect enough to give a more precise understanding or maybe mother nature just doesn't let you see in what happens at the center of a BH for example.
But I doubt one can call the center of a BH a true infinity in the classical sense , as that center still formed from a star that had some finite amount of mass and even after all that matter that has fallen in still has some finite mass not infinite.

Also I think there are constraints as to how large an object can get and they have to do with the density of that particular object , as when the mass would be large enough and the density too which are actually kinda related then that object would start to form a Black hole.After that I think you have to look upon how big a BH can get.

1. What is the maximum size that an object can reach?

The maximum size that an object can reach is currently unknown. Theoretically, there is no limit to the size of an object, as it can continue to grow infinitely. However, practical limitations such as structural integrity and availability of resources may restrict the size of objects in the macro scale.

2. Is there a minimum size for objects in the macro scale?

Similar to the maximum size, there is currently no known minimum size for objects in the macro scale. However, as objects become smaller, quantum effects become more prominent and can affect their behavior. This is known as the quantum realm and is typically considered to be below the macro scale.

3. What are the biggest objects that exist in our universe?

The biggest objects that exist in our universe are galaxies, which can range in size from 10,000 to 100,000 light years in diameter. These are collections of stars, gas, and dust held together by gravity. The largest known galaxy, IC 1101, is estimated to be 6 million light years in diameter.

4. Can humans create objects that are larger than natural objects in the macro scale?

Yes, humans can create objects that are larger than natural objects in the macro scale. For example, man-made structures such as skyscrapers, bridges, and dams can be larger than any natural object on Earth. However, these objects are still limited by practical constraints and may not be able to surpass the size of natural objects in the universe.

5. What are the potential consequences of reaching the maximum size limit for objects?

The potential consequences of reaching the maximum size limit for objects are currently unknown and purely theoretical. Some scientists speculate that objects that become too massive may collapse under their own gravity, forming black holes. Others suggest that the laws of physics may break down at such extreme scales, making it impossible for objects to exist beyond a certain size.