1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits with e^x and an integral too!

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi I'm having some trouble with evaluating these limits. I can't figure out what to do. I guess i forgot some calc one. I don't have much work but All I'm asking for for now is a couple hints.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^{3x} -e^{-3x}}{e^{3x} + e^{-3x}} [/tex]

I tried dividing numerator and denominator by e^3x and 3^-3x Neither worked? Any hints on what else to do?

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow2^+} e^{3/(2-x)} [/tex] I have no idea here. Please I know theres not much work but Im totaly lost.

Now the integral:

[tex] \int e^x \sqrt{1+e^x} dx [/tex]

I tried the substitution u = [tex] \sqrt{1+e^x} [/tex]

Using that substitution i get this:

[tex] 2\int u^2 du [/tex]

integrate this and you get:

[tex] (1/2) u^4 + C [/tex]

which is:

(1+ 2e^x +e^2x)/2, This is nowhere near the answer. Where did I go wrong. I don't see why that substitution didn't work.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

wait i saw my mistake on the integral. Nevermind there.

4. Feb 7, 2006 #3
    Hello. I'll offer some quick assistance with the integral

[tex] \int e^x \sqrt{1+e^x} dx [/tex]

For this, try setting [tex] u = [/tex] [tex] 1 + e^x [/tex]
    Thus,
    [tex] du = e^x \cdot dx [/tex]

Does this help?

5. Feb 7, 2006 #4

krab

Science Advisor

try it in a calculator; it converges very quickly. This is because the second term on top and second term on bottom very quickly become utterly negligible.

6. Feb 7, 2006 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Krab and ebola thank you. I solved the integral and the first limit. Now if Anybody can help on the second limit, thatd be great.

7. Feb 7, 2006 #6
    [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow2^+} e^{3/(2-x)} [/tex]

Well as x approaches two, the denominator becomes a very small positive number, let's call it A, and 3/A becomes inifinitely large. Once this infinitely growing number is used as an exponent for e, I would say the limit is positive infinity.

8. Feb 7, 2006 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That not the answer. The answer in the back is 0. I can't figure out how to manipulate that so I can get that answer

9. Feb 8, 2006 #8

benorin

Homework Helper

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow2^+} e^{3/(2-x)} = e^{\lim_{x\rightarrow2^+} 3/(2-x)}[/tex] by continuity of the exponential function and [tex]\frac{3}{2-x} \rightarrow -\infty \mbox{ as }x\rightarrow2^+[/tex] so one may put

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2^+} e^{3/(2-x)} = \lim_{u\rightarrow +\infty} e^{u}=0 [/tex]

10. Feb 8, 2006 #9

benorin

Homework Helper

tanh(3x) limit at infinity

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^{3x} -e^{-3x}}{e^{3x} + e^{-3x}} =\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^{3x} -\frac{1}{e^{3x}}}{e^{3x} + \frac{1}{e^{3x}}}=\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\frac{e^{6x}-1}{e^{3x}}}{\frac{e^{6x}+1}{e^{3x}}}=\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^{6x}-1}{e^{6x}+1}[/tex]
    [tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^{6x}-1}{e^{6x}+1}\cdot\frac{e^{-6x}}{e^{-6x}}= \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1-e^{-6x}}{1+e^{-6x}}=\frac{1-0}{1+0}=1[/tex]

11. Feb 8, 2006 #10

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Whoops, typo here, benorin.
    If u tends to positive infinity, then it should be:
    [tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow +\infty} e^{u}= + \infty[/tex]
    In this problem, u tends to negative infinity, so it should be:
    [tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow -\infty} e^{u}= 0[/tex] (it's negative infinity, not positive infinity).
    By the way, may I suggest you not to post a COMPLETE solution.
    If I recalled correctly, this is the third time I catch you posting a COMPLETE solution. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?