Evaluate Limit: limx→0 (sinx/x)=1?

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
In summary: So, the second limit is just the value of the function: -1/2. The first limit we know is 1. So, the answer is (-1/2)1 = -1/2.
charmedbeauty
limx-->0 (sinx/x)=1?

Homework Statement

Hi I have the question evaluate the limit going to zero of

(cos(x)-1)/sin(x2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

lim x→0 (cos(x)-1)/sin(x2)

goes to 0/0 by Lhoptal's

f'(x)/g'(x)

= (limx→0 sinx/x)(limx→0 -1/ 2cos(x2))

but the answer I have says that (limx→0 sinx/x) = 1

how is this so

I know the other term goes to -1/2 but yeah I'm really confused about the sin term going to 1 is this a mistake or is there something i don't know?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hint:
[tex]
\cos x - 1 = -2 \sin^2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)
[/tex]
Divide the numerator and denominator by [itex]x^2[/itex], and use your limit.

Dickfore said:
Hint:
[tex]
\cos x - 1 = -2 \sin^2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)
[/tex]
Divide the numerator and denominator by [itex]x^2[/itex], and use your limit.

do you mean cos2x-1=-2sin2(x/2)?

if i divide numerator and denominator by x2

(sinx × x2)/x3

I still get 0 out of it when I plug 0 into anything times by sin i get 0.

do I take L'hopitals again?

of the individual sin part of the function? can you partially diff and apply L'hopitals?

charmedbeauty said:
do you mean cos2x-1=-2sin2(x/2)?
No, because:
a) it is an incorrect trigonometric identity;
b) it is not useful for your problem, since the left-hand side is not what you have in your limit.

I meant exactly what I wrote:
[tex]
\cos x - 1 = -2 \, \sin^2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)
[/tex]

charmedbeauty said:
if i divide numerator and denominator by x2

(sinx × x2)/x3
I don't know how you got this.

charmedbeauty said:
but the answer I have says that (limx→0 sinx/x) = 1

how is this so

What happens if you try L'Hopital again?

I think I would be inclined to write it as
[tex]\frac{cos(x)- 1}{sin(x^2)}= \frac{x^2}{sin(x^2)}\frac{cos(x)- 1}{x^2}[/tex]

It's easy to see that [itex]sin(x^2)/x^2[/itex] goes to 1. Using L'Hopital's rule on [tex]\frac{cos(x)- 1}{x^2}[/tex] leads to [tex]\frac{-sin(x)}{2x}[/tex] which has limit -2.

HallsofIvy said:
I think I would be inclined to write it as
[tex]\frac{cos(x)- 1}{sin(x^2)}= \frac{x^2}{sin(x^2)}\frac{cos(x)- 1}{x^2}[/tex]

It's easy to see that [itex]sin(x^2)/x^2[/itex] goes to 1. Using L'Hopital's rule on [tex]\frac{cos(x)- 1}{x^2}[/tex] leads to [tex]\frac{-sin(x)}{2x}[/tex] which has limit -2.

Ok, I can see how you get that but the part I'm confused with is that you have a cos factor in the numerator and a sin factor in the denominator. every time L'hopital's gets used these just swap from sin to cos visca versa.

and cos 0 =1 but sin0=0

thats how I don't understand how the zero term vanishes?

can you use L'hopitals rule on just part of a fraction?

because it looks like every time I differentiate tops and bottoms I have a sin and a cos factor, when i really only can have cos factors.?

This is much more easily solved with Taylor expansion.

[tex]\cos x - 1 = \left(1 - \frac{x^2}{2} + \ldots{}\right) - 1 = -\frac{x^2}{2} + \ldots{}[/tex]

And for the denominator,

[tex]\sin x^2 = x^2 - \frac{x^6}{6} + \ldots{}[/tex]

So the limit can be written as

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos x - 1}{\sin x^2} = \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{-x^2/2 + \ldots}{x^2 - x^6/6 + \ldots{}}[/tex]

The limit is as [itex]x \to 0[/itex], so throw away all but the lowest power term in both the numerator and denominator, and you clearly get

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{-x^2/2}{x^2} = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Now, you originally asked how it could be that,

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex]

Again, this is easily solved by Taylor expansion.

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x - x^3/6 + \ldots}{x} = \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{x}{x} = 1[/tex]

Or by l'Hopital's rule,

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos x}{1} = 1[/tex]

charmedbeauty said:
Ok, I can see how you get that but the part I'm confused with is that you have a cos factor in the numerator and a sin factor in the denominator. every time L'hopital's gets used these just swap from sin to cos visca versa.

and cos 0 =1 but sin0=0

thats how I don't understand how the zero term vanishes?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. "vanishes" means "is 0".

can you use L'hopitals rule on just part of a fraction?
You understand what L'Hopital's rule is, don't you?
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \frac{\lim_{x\to a}f'(x)}{\lim_{x\to a} g'(x)}[/tex]
provided those limits exist. I don't know what you mean by "part of a fraction". If you can write a fraction as a sum or product, then you can use [itex]\lim_{x\to a} (f+g)(x)= \lim_{x\to a}f(x)+ \lim_{x\to a}g(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\to a}fg(x)= \left(\lim_{x\to a}f(x)\right)\left(\lim_{x\to a}g(x)\right)[/itex].

because it looks like every time I differentiate tops and bottoms I have a sin and a cos factor, when i really only can have cos factors.?
Again, I really don't know what you mean by this. Why would you think "I really only can have cos factors"?

Muphrid said:
This is much more easily solved with Taylor expansion.
This method likely requires material the OP doesn't yet know considering he or she is still learning how to evaluate basic limits.

vela said:
This method likely requires material the OP doesn't yet know considering he or she is still learning how to evaluate basic limits.

yep.

HallsofIvy said:
Again, I really don't know what you mean by this. Why would you think "I really only can have cos factors"?

ok so its ok to have...

limx→0 (-1/2cos(x2)limx→0(cos(x)/1)

= -1/2 (1) =-1/2

??

Applying L'Hopital's rule to what you started with, you got
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos x - 1}{\sin x^2} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{-\sin x}{2x\cos x^2}$$ I think what you're missing is this next step. What happened was they broke the single limit into a product of two limits:
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{-\sin x}{2x\cos x^2} = \left(\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}\right)\left(\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{-1}{2\cos x^2}\right)$$ which you can do if the limits exist. So while it looked like L'Hopital's rule was only being applied to part of the fraction, namely, the sin x/x part, it really wasn't. It's just that the original limit was split into two separate limits. Now the first limit you can evaluate using L'Hopital's rule again.

vela said:
Applying L'Hopital's rule to what you started with, you got
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos x - 1}{\sin x^2} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{-\sin x}{2x\cos x^2}$$ I think what you're missing is this next step. What happened was they broke the single limit into a product of two limits:
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{-\sin x}{2x\cos x^2} = \left(\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}\right)\left(\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{-1}{2\cos x^2}\right)$$ which you can do if the limits exist. So while it looked like L'Hopital's rule was only being applied to part of the fraction, namely, the sin x/x part, it really wasn't. It's just that the original limit was split into two separate limits. Now the first limit you can evaluate using L'Hopital's rule again.

Thanks vela that completely cleared it up.

1. What is the concept of evaluating a limit?

The concept of evaluating a limit involves finding the value that a function approaches as the independent variable (usually denoted by x) approaches a specific value (usually denoted by a) within the domain of the function. In other words, it is finding the behavior of the function near a specific point.

2. How do you evaluate the limit of sinx/x as x approaches 0?

To evaluate the limit of sinx/x as x approaches 0, we can use the direct substitution method. This means that we can simply plug in the value of 0 for x in the function, which gives us 0/0. However, this form is undefined. We can manipulate the function using trigonometric identities to simplify it and get rid of the indeterminate form. In this case, we can use the fact that sinx/x is equivalent to 1 when x is equal to 0. Therefore, the limit of sinx/x as x approaches 0 is 1.

3. Why is the limit of sinx/x as x approaches 0 equal to 1?

The limit of sinx/x as x approaches 0 is equal to 1 because of the definition of the sine function. As x approaches 0, the ratio of sinx/x approaches 1, which means that the function is approaching the value of 1. This can also be seen in the graph of the function, where the curve approaches the value of 1 as x approaches 0.

4. Can the limit of sinx/x as x approaches 0 be evaluated using other methods?

Yes, the limit of sinx/x as x approaches 0 can also be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule, which states that if the limit of two functions is equal to 0/0 or ∞/∞, then the limit of the quotient of the two functions is equal to the quotient of their derivatives. In this case, the derivative of sinx is cosx, and the derivative of x is 1, giving us the limit of cosx/1, which is equal to 1.

5. What are the applications of evaluating limits in real life?

The concept of evaluating limits is widely used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used to model and analyze real-life situations, predict the behavior of a system, and make informed decisions. For example, in physics, limits are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, while in economics, limits are used to determine the maximum profit or the minimum cost of a business.