1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Currents

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    The figure below shows three 1-phase appliances connected in star to a 3-phase 3-wire system. The supply voltage is star-connected with a line-to-line voltage of 415V, 50Hz. I want to calculate:

[tex] \overline{I_a}, \overline{I_b}, \overline{I_c} [/tex]

The problem is i'm getting wrong phases that don't correspond to the answers that I'm given.

This is how I tried to solve it:

[tex] E_{AB} = I_{ao}Z_A - I_{bo}Z_B, ... eqn (1) [/tex]
    [tex] E_{BC} = I_{bo}Z_b - I_{co}Z_c ... eqn (2) [/tex]
    [tex] E_{CA} = I_{co}Z_c - I_{ao}Z_a ... eqn (3) [/tex]

Applied kirchoff's current law at node O and got [tex] I_{bo} = -I_{ao} - I_{co} [/tex]

Substituted this result in equations 1 and 2 and got:

[tex] E_{AB} = I_{ao}(Z_a + Z_b) + I_{co}Z_{b} [/tex]
    [tex] E_{BC} = I_{ao}(-Z_b) + I_{co}[-(Z_b + Z_c)]

then I used cramers rule to get:

I_{ao} = \frac{\text{det} \left[ \begin{matrix} E_{AB} & Z_b \\ E_{BC} & (Z_b + Z_c) \end{matrix} \right]}{\text{det} \left[ \begin{matrix} Z_a + Z_c & Z_b \\ -Z_b & (Z_b + Z_c) \end{matrix} \right]}

Finally, I substituted [tex] E_{BC} + E_{BC} = -E_{CA} [/tex]

and got

[tex] I_{ao} = \frac{E_{AB}Z_C - E_{CA}Z_B}{Z_{A}Z_B + Z_{A}Z_C + Z_{B}Z_C} [/tex]

I found the resistances by using

[tex] P = \frac{V^2}{R}, \therefore R=P*V^2 [/tex]

Substituting 415V, phase 120 degrees for [tex] E_{CA} [/tex] and 415V phase 0 for [tex] E_{AB} [/tex], I got 5.28A, phase -54.27 degrees. My lecturer gave 5.286A, phase -24.26!

Can someone show me what's wrong with my reasoning please?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted