Line detection/electronics help

• Thread starter compton_effect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation is about building a sumo bot in an electronics class and the current problem with the line detection using QRD1114 photo emitters/detectors. The transistor is outputting 2.4 volts (low) and 4.6 volts (high) on a 5 volt input, which is borderline for inputting into the LS family digital logic. A suggestion was made to use an LM741 op-amp with a low gain and tie 2.4 volts to the offset to null the low input and amplify the high to the 5V rail. However, there is uncertainty on how to null out a 2.4 volt signal using the two offset nulls on the 741. The
compton_effect
I'm in an electronics class in which we build a sumo bot for our final project. Right now I'm working on the line detection using QRD1114 photo emitters/detectors. The problem is that the transistor is outputting about 2.4 volts (low) and 4.6 volts (high) on a 5 volt input, which is borderline for inputting into the LS family digital logic.

I received a suggestion that I should use an LM741 op-amp with a low gain (~10) and tie 2.4 volts to the offset, so it nulls the low input and amplifies the high to the 5V rail. On the 741, there are two offset nulls, though I'm not exactly sure how to null out a 2.4 volt signal. Can anyone give any suggestions as to how to achieve this or possibly a better way to approach this problem? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What supply rails do you have available? Probably the best way to process the output of the photo sensor would be to use a single-supply comparator, with its reference set between the high and low output voltages of the sensor. Be sure to include some hysteresis in the + feedback path of the comparator.

Hi there,

It sounds like you are facing a common issue in electronics projects - getting the desired output voltage from your components. In this case, the transistor is outputting a voltage that is borderline for your digital logic input. The suggestion to use an LM741 op-amp with a low gain and offset nulls is a good one. However, if you are not familiar with how to null out a specific voltage, it can be a bit tricky.

One way to approach this is to use a voltage divider circuit to reduce the 2.4V signal to a lower value that can be easily nullified by the op-amp. You can use two resistors in series, with the 2.4V signal connected to the junction between them. By choosing the right values for the resistors, you can create a voltage divider that outputs a lower voltage, such as 0.24V or 0.24V, which can then be easily nullified by the op-amp.

Another approach could be to use a potentiometer in the feedback loop of the op-amp, which allows you to adjust the gain and null out the 2.4V signal. This would require some experimentation and fine-tuning, but it can be an effective solution.

Lastly, you may want to consider using a different transistor or a different type of photo emitter/detector that can provide a more suitable output voltage for your digital logic input. Sometimes, changing the component can be a simpler and more effective solution.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. How does line detection work?

Line detection is a process used in electronics to identify and locate lines or edges in an image or signal. It involves using various techniques such as edge detection, thresholding, and filtering to distinguish lines from the background and determine their position and orientation.

2. What types of sensors are used for line detection?

There are several types of sensors used for line detection, including infrared sensors, laser sensors, ultrasonic sensors, and camera-based sensors. Each type has its advantages and limitations, and the choice depends on the specific application and environment.

3. What are some common applications of line detection in electronics?

Line detection has various applications in electronics, such as in robotics for line following and path planning, in industrial automation for quality control and inspection, and in computer vision for object recognition and navigation. It is also used in digital image processing for feature extraction and segmentation.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of line detection?

To improve the accuracy of line detection, you can use multiple sensors or a combination of different techniques. Other factors that can affect accuracy include lighting conditions, sensor placement and calibration, and the quality of the image or signal being processed. Continuous testing and fine-tuning of the detection algorithm can also help improve accuracy.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to line detection?

Line detection can face challenges in environments with low lighting, complex backgrounds, or curved lines. It may also be affected by noise or other interference in the signal. Additionally, different materials and colors can impact the accuracy of detection. Continuous testing and optimization are necessary to address these challenges and achieve reliable line detection.