1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral of a conservative vector field

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is an example in my book, and this is the information in the question.

Find the work done by thr force field F(x,y) = (1/2)xy i + (1/4)x^2 j (with i and j vectors) on a particle that moves from (0,0) to (1,1) along each path (graph shows a x=y^2 curve from (0,0) to (1,1)). This is the information in the question.

2. Relevant equations
    This is the answer given in this example. r(t)=t i + sqrt(t) j for 0<=t<=1, so that dr = (i + 1/(2sqrt(t))dt and F(x,y)=(1/2)t^(3/2) i + (1/4)t^2 j. Then the work done is integral from 0 to 1, (5/8)t^(3/2)dt=(1/4)t^(5/2) = 1/4

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question is how do you attain the r(t)=t i + sqrt(t) j equation from the information given?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so
    [tex] r(t) = (x(t), y(t)) = (t,\sqrt{t})[/tex]
    is a parametric representation of x = y^2, try substituting in and see if it satisfies the equation

there are actually infinite ways to paremeterise the curve, this one was chosen by starting with x(t) = t, and finding y(t)

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As landance said, there are an infinte number of ways to parameterize a curve. Another perfectly valid one would be [itex]x= t^2[/itex], [itex]y= t[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook