1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Integral over circle region

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate ∫c (x + y) ds, where C is the circle centred at (1/2, 0) with radius 1/2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    parametrise
    x=1/2cos(t)
    y=1/2sin(t)
    0≤t≤2π
    ds=√dx2+dy2
    =√(1/2)2-sin2(t)+(1/2)2cos2(t)
    =√-(1)2(1/2)2sin2(t)+(1/2)2cos2(t)
    =√-(1)2(1/2)2(sin2(t)+cos2(t))
    ds=1/2

∫ [(1/2)cos(t) + (1/2)sin(t)]*(1/2) dt, where 0≤t≤2π

I evaluated this integral and got 0. Is this because C is a simple closed curve?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I evaluated the (correct) integral and obtained an answer of ##\pi/n##, where ##n## is an integer whose exact value I will not divulge at this time. I assumed the circle was traversed in a counter-clockwise direction, which you did not mention in the problem statement.

4. May 16, 2016 #3
    The problem statement didn't mention the direction. So I just assume anti-clockwise.

Do you know where I have made my mistake? I have been on this problem for a while now and can't seem to find it. I've put the integral into a computation as well and got back 0 as the answer.

5. May 16, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PF rules forbid me from telling you exactly where your mistake lies. All I can do is urge you to be more careful, and to read the question carefully.

6. May 16, 2016 #5
    Argh!

The circle is centred at (1/2,0) not at the origin. I'm not entirely sure how this changes anything though.

7. May 16, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since C is a circle, perhaps a more natural expression for ds would be r ⋅ dθ

8. May 16, 2016 #7
    I found a source online that suggested if the circle is not at the origin then:
    x = h + r cos(t)
    y = k + r sin(t)
    so
    x = 1/2 + (1/2 cos(t))
    y = 1/2 sin(t)
    edit: FOUND THE INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR!

Circle with Center at Point (h,k)
    http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/math/geometry/gcg6/LCirh3.gif
    where the center is (h,k)
    and the radius is r

so

x= 1/2cos(t)-1/2
    y= 1/2sin(t)

9. May 16, 2016 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In one place you wrote ##x = (1/2) + (1/2)\cos(t)##, while in another place you wrote ##x = -(1/2) + (1/2)\cos(t)##. So, which is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted