Line integral problem, lost when they sub, have work written out

In summary, the problem is evaluating the line integral with C being the line segment from (0,0) to (2,0) and (2,0) to (3,2). The solution involves breaking the integral into two parts, C1 and C2, and using the given values for x and y to calculate the values of dy and dy/dx. The first part of the integral has a value of 0, while the second part involves the use of the values 2x^2-4x and -x+4. The solution can be found by referring to the given values for x and y in each part of the integral.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone~

I have the following problem, its done in the book but I'm lost on how they came to the final answer.

Evaluate the line integral:

Integral over C xy dx + (x-y) dy, C is the line segment from (0,0) to (2,0) and (2,0) to (3,2).

C = C1 + C2;
On C1: x = x, y = 0;
dy = 0 dx,
0 <= x <= 2;

On C2: x = x; y = 2x-4;
dy/dx = 2; => dy = 2 dx;
2 <= x <= 3;

This all makes sense to me, but then they have:

Integral over C xy dx + (x-y) dy = integral over c1 xy dx + (x-y)dy + integral over c2 xy + dx + (x-y) dy;

= integral from 0 to 1 (0 + 0) dx + integral 2 to 3 [(2x^2 -4x) + (-x + 4)(2)] dx;

I see where the 2 came from in the 2nd part, because dy = 2 dx; but why is it (0 + 0) in the first part, and also where did they get 2x^2-4x? or the -x + 4?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
= integral from 0 to 1 (0 + 0) dx + integral 2 to 3 [(2x^2 -4x) + (-x + 4)(2)] dx;

I see where the 2 came from in the 2nd part, because dy = 2 dx; but why is it (0 + 0) in the first part, and also where did they get 2x^2-4x? or the -x + 4?

All you answers can be found here
C = C1 + C2;
On C1: x = x, y = 0;
dy = 0 dx,
0 <= x <= 2;

On C2: x = x; y = 2x-4;
dy/dx = 2; => dy = 2 dx;
2 <= x <= 3;

First integral: What does y and dy =?
Second integral: What is y=?

It may appear irrelevant here, but the limits of the first integral should be 0 and 2.

1. What is a line integral problem?

A line integral problem is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the total value of a function along a given path or curve. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work, fluid flow, and other physical quantities.

2. What happens when I get lost while solving a line integral problem?

If you get lost while solving a line integral problem, it is important to go back to the basics and review the fundamental concepts involved. Make sure you understand the problem and the steps involved in solving it. You can also seek help from a tutor or colleague to clarify any confusion.

3. Why is it important to show your work when solving a line integral problem?

Showing your work when solving a line integral problem is important because it allows you to track your thought process and identify any mistakes made along the way. It also helps others understand your approach and provides a clear explanation for the solution.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a line integral problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a line integral problem, but it is important to understand the underlying concepts and steps involved in the calculation. Relying solely on a calculator can lead to errors and hinder your understanding of the problem.

5. What should I do if I get a different answer when I substitute values into a line integral problem?

If you get a different answer when you substitute values into a line integral problem, it could be due to a mistake in the calculation or a misunderstanding of the problem. Double-check your work and make sure you understand the problem correctly. You can also ask for help from a tutor or colleague to verify your solution.