1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral problem, lost when they sub, have work written out!

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone~

I have the following problem, its done in the book but i'm lost on how they came to the final answer.

Evaluate the line integral:

Integral over C xy dx + (x-y) dy, C is the line segment from (0,0) to (2,0) and (2,0) to (3,2).

C = C1 + C2;
    On C1: x = x, y = 0;
    dy = 0 dx,
    0 <= x <= 2;

On C2: x = x; y = 2x-4;
    dy/dx = 2; => dy = 2 dx;
    2 <= x <= 3;

This all makes sense to me, but then they have:

Integral over C xy dx + (x-y) dy = integral over c1 xy dx + (x-y)dy + integral over c2 xy + dx + (x-y) dy;

= integral from 0 to 1 (0 + 0) dx + integral 2 to 3 [(2x^2 -4x) + (-x + 4)(2)] dx;

I see where the 2 came from in the 2nd part, because dy = 2 dx; but why is it (0 + 0) in the first part, and also where did they get 2x^2-4x? or the -x + 4?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2
    All you answers can be found here
    First integral: What does y and dy =?
    Second integral: What is y=?

It may appear irrelevant here, but the limits of the first integral should be 0 and 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?