1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integrals and vector fields.

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a circle of equation x^2+y^2=1 and a vector field F (x; y) =< y + .5x, x + .3y >.
    Imagine the field zoomed in extremely close at (0,1), to the point where it looks like a constant field of <-1,.3>. Calculate the work from say (0,1) to (-.001, 1). The constant field is force.

2. Relevant equations
    I was told to do this I dot <-1,3> and the vector made by (0,1) to (-.001,1).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I receive an extremely tiny negative number, and I think it is wrong because when going right to left, the value looks like it should be positive. I think I somehow got the vector made by the 2 points wrong, cause I get <1,1.001>.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vector from your start point to the second point is D = <-.001,1> - <0,1> = <-.001,0>. Dotting that into your force will yield a positive number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook