1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Characterizations of invertible matrices

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T be a linear transformation that maps Rn onto Rn.
    Show that T-1 exists and maps Rn onto Rn.
    Is T-1 also one to one?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not quite sure where to start. To prove that T is invertible I need to show that A is an invertible matrix. To show that A is an invertible matrix I can use The Invertible Matrix Theorem part i. "The linear transformation x → Ax maps Rn onto Rn
    This theorem also says that if part i. is true then A is an invertible matrix.
    Then, by theorem 9, T is invertible because A is invertible.
    Is that enough to prove that T-1 exists? How do I show that it maps Rn onto Rn? Is it also 1-1?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2
    I don't know that theorem 9 and part i. are! I'm not taking your class with you.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    Theorem 9
    Let T: R^n → R^n be a linear transformation and let A be the standard matrix for T. Then T is invertible if and only if A is an invertible matrix. In that case, the linear transformation S given by S(x) = A^-1 x is the unique function satisfying
    (1) S(T(x)) = x for all x in R^n
    (2) T(S(x)) = x for all x in R^n

part i. is from the Invertible Matrix Theorem
    Let A be a square nxn matrix. Then the following statements are logically equivalent:
    a. A is an invertible matrix
    b. A is row equivalent to the nxn identity matrix
    c. A has n pivot positions
    d. The equation Ax = 0 has only the trivial solution
    e. The columns of A form a linearly independent set
    f. The linear transformation x→ Ax is one-to-one
    g. The equation Ax= b has at least one solution for each b in R^n
    h. The columns of A span R^n
    i. The linear transformation x → Ax maps R^n onto R^n
    j. There is an nxn matrix C such that CA = I
    k. There is an nxn matrix D such that DA = I
    l. A^T is an invertible matrix.

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4
    Okay, from what I understand of your proof, you are using part (i) to conclude that the matrix associated with T is invertible.

You are then using "Theorem 9" to conclude that because the matrix associated with T is invertible, T itself must be. So far, we have that T is invertible so that T-1 exists.

To show that it maps Rn onto Rn, note that because T is onto, given an arbitrary v1 in Rn, one can find v2 in Rn so that T(v1) = v2. Apply the inverse to both sides of this equation and see what you get. Note that v1 was arbitrary.

To show that it's 1-1, suppose that we have v1, v2 with T-1(v1) = T-1(v2). Again, just operate on both sides of the equation with T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook